Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

harbor fishing in fingal advice needed

Options
  • 13-09-2011 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

hello folks. i live in balbriggan and work in skerries. on my breaks from work i sometimes do a bit of harbour fishing the thing is that i dont have a clue what i am doing.
    my current setup involves me fishing when other people are there and using feathers i picked up in a shop with a lead weight at the end to cast into the sea and reel in slowly then cast out again. my rod is a middle size one not one of those big beach ones and my line is brown and middle weight of the ones i have seen.

the thing is that i see some people using hooks with shiney foil like stuff and some use small fish as bait. also some use floats....

so what i want is just the most general basics of harbor fishing. i eat any fish swimming and have read the regs re fish type and size allowed ect.

for harbour fishing what is the best approch tide out,coming in,in,going out ?
    the best bait/lure to use and if to keep casting or just use a float and let it sit there?
    is there seasons for coastal fishing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭whitesands

It's a while since I was fishing but I'll give you a couple of pointers...

my current setup involves me fishing when other people are there and using feathers i picked up in a shop with a lead weight at the end to cast into the sea and reel in slowly then cast out again. my rod is a middle size one not one of those big beach ones and my line is brown and middle weight of the ones i have seen.
    With feathers your mostly going to get mackerel, now should be a good time for mackerel.
    Reeling in slowly isn't a good idea, pull the rod up so it comes in a few feet & reel in the slack, repeat & repeat. The fish will go for the flash/movement of the feathers. It's called spinning, a slow reel in won't get you much on feathers.

the thing is that i see some people using hooks with shiney foil like stuff and some use small fish as bait. also some use floats....
    The shiney stuff is the same as feathers in practice, it will just tend to attract other fish than mackerel more. I'd stick with the feathers for now, ie september, if I were you.

The small fish are probably sandeels, it means your using bait & you can leave it out, ie no reeling in constantly.

for harbour fishing what is the best approch tide out,coming in,in,going out ?
    the best bait/lure to use and if to keep casting or just use a float and let it sit there?
    is there seasons for coastal fishing?
    Depends where you are, generally an hour each side of high tide would be best.

As for seasons, depends what your fishing for, it's mackerel season now & they would be the easiest for a beginner to catch.
    The most common baits in your tackle shop will be ragworm or sandeel's, I'd recommend trying some ragworm, 10 live ones for less than a €5 last time I bought some.

HTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Mackerel swim in shoals and you can be all day catching nothing then a shoal appears usually chasing the sprat into the shore. then you'll catch more than you need. its a little hit and miss.

There will be fish that are there all the time these will be bottom feeders and the Rag worn as suggested is good for these.

If you go around to where the rocks are you'll find pollack.

Both the areas you have suggested have large sandy areas out to sea
    This isn't idea as flat fish and dog fish mostly what you will find in low numbers.

I like to go down to the beach or anywhere I'm fishing for low tide and fish the incoming tide. a evening incoming tide I find is best.
    Plus it gives you the chance to spot reefs or rock structures out at sea.
    Fish like to rest up out of the current and then dart out to catch their pray swimming by. This is where you'll try to be fishing. at the edge of the obstruction and fast moving water.

I find the fish seem to be less active at slack water (high or low).

It is a lot of years since I fished Skerries harbor but when I did the mackerel was good in season and from the harbor wall I caught a lot of eels.

Bait
    Rag worm good for bottom fishing and most types of fish will take it
    Lug not as good as Rag worm most fish will take but fishing is always slow
    Mussels are great for cod but often not effective for other fish.
    Mackerel strips dog fish, ray like this other fish will bite but its slow fishing

Lures
    Feathers for mackerel
    Silver lures (like feathers sold in a string or 3 or 6) better than feathers as pollack and other fish will also bite. Have to be worked cast out and reeled in constantly
    sand eels Bass if there are about work much better from a boat than shore.

Spinners mostly for mackerel

Remember the best part about fishing isn't the fish but being out there enjoying your self...

I use to shore fish and boat fish... as you drive about look out for the guys who are fishing in odd areas they normally have tripods and look the part so you know they have experience and probably found a nice productive spot.

Advertisement