Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grave locations - source, place, note, other ?

Options
  • 13-09-2011 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

What way do most people record grave locations in their genealogy software ? I now have an number of grave locations, burial details, etc . . . that I want to keep recorded somewhere.

The logical option available to me are to define the grave as a place, with the location as (say) Glasnevin Cemetery and the address as (say) plot AQ40. This way I can relate this single place to the various individuals that are buried there.

Alternatively, I could list it as a source as there is original information recorded there ("Here lies Arthur McZagmund, died 01/01/1901, his wife Zuppy McZagmund, died 02/02/1902, etc . . .")

Or I could just have it in as a note against each individual person record, but this means that I could have different details recorded for each individual.

I'm probably happy enough to go with the place option, but I'm wondering how the rest of you do it ?

z

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

My genopro software has a section for death details - I've attached a screenshot and I would just put the reference in the comments section.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

zagmund wrote: »
    What way do most people record grave locations in their genealogy software ? I now have an number of grave locations, burial details, etc . . . that I want to keep recorded somewhere.

What's your software? I'm using Legacy Family Tree, and it has a location for burial, as well as separate notes sections where those details pertaining to the death of the individual could be recorded. I would normally put the generic address in, e.g. Clonleigh Graveyard, Lifford, Co. Donegal in that situation. I haven't had to think about that before because there are no plot numbers in any of the graveyards I've entered :D However, if I were to encounter one, I'd use Legacy's Event Details to record those kind of specifics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Thanks - I'm using GRAMPS. It looks like they do things a little different there.

I think I might do something similar to your approach - a place called Glasnevin Cemetery, and then link it to everyone that I have recorded as buried there. Then within each individual person record include a note that they are buried in (say) plot AZ40.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Just looking at Gramps - I had it already installed and a gedcom imported, but am running Legacy under Wine normally. In my file, those burial notes ended up in the Reference notes under the Burial event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Thanks for that. I've been reading the manual (always helps) and just copped on to the fact that you don't have to enter a date in for an event.

I'm not quite sure why I thought you did, but I assumed you had to enter in a date and then enter in notes, but of course you can just enter in the burial event with no date and enter in notes accordingly.

It seems they don't do things that differently in GRAMPS after all.

z

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭JDERIC2017

Hey, don't know if posting in right thread, Does anyone know of a site for burial records in the UK. Looking for a great uncle who lived in Salford. Thanks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Please do not resurrect zombie threads if they're not completely relevant to the original post.

Genealogy Forum Mod

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement