Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Passing your full license with just lessons

Options
  • 13-09-2011 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭

Is it possible just to pass your full licence by just getting lessons and not getting insured until you pass it? Has anyone ever done it?

I'm a student in no real rush to get it but would like to try doing it this way and save a fortune on my first insurance. I'd save about €700-€800.

So what do you think?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Oh I was in this exact same position about 2.5 years ago. I was 17, and was considering just taking lessons as I wouldn't have to pay for insurance (and the logic being, with the money saved from not paying for insurance, I could pay for quite a lot of lessons). I have heard of some people passing the test like this (using the instructors car for the actual test), but I've heard of others who failed it quite a few times.

To be really honest, I came to the decision that to be able to pass the driving test is not just knowing how to drive, and when to look in the mirror etc., you need plenty of experience to be able to deal with traffic situations. Experience is more easily gotten from driving with an accompanied driver than it is during lessons only. Actually, when I did get insured I found the best practice was just driving with my mother everytime she went into town (for shopping, or whatever). Dundalk is a bit of traffic mania so I felt if I could drive around that at peak time I could drive around it at any time! At the very least, with all the shopping stops, I became very good at parking and parallel parking!

In the end, I found a deal that let me combine best of both worlds. Aviva were doing a deal that if you paid for 10 lessons in one block, you would get 6 months free accompanied driving cover, provided you are accompanied (in my case, it had to be one of my parents who accompanied me, it couldn't be anyone). Aviva have possibly changed that deal now, but if they are doing something equivalent I think it's excellent for student learners like us - a huge deal of my friends were with Aviva taking lessons at the same time as me!

Other companies may do something similar also, so have a look around!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Oh I was in this exact same position about 2.5 years ago. I was 17, !

Jasus Timbuk, didn't know your were that young! I always thought you were about 40!:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Jasus Timbuk, didn't know your were that young! I always thought you were about 40!:rolleyes:

I'll take that as a compliment!

(I think) :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

13/14? :pac:

13/14? :pac:

13 :o
    Probably joined to ask a question about the Junior Cert or something unimportant. Seems like ages ago now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

What hope is there for those of us taking lessons but with no familial car to rely upon for accompanied driving hours? The expensive option may be the only option!

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭misterdeeds

heffo500 wrote: »
    Is it possible just to pass your full licence by just getting lessons and not getting insured until you pass it? Has anyone ever done it?

I'm a student in no real rush to get it but would like to try doing it this way and save a fortune on my first insurance. I'd save about €700-€800.

So what do you think?
    Hi yes it is possible to pass your test by just taking lessons I passed mine by taking lessons and did not drive until I passed my test ( 2nd time) tho it took me @18 months to get there
    All in all it is well worth it when you are told,"congratulations uv'passed ".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Valmont wrote: »
    What hope is there for those of us taking lessons but with no familial car to rely upon for accompanied driving hours? The expensive option may be the only option!

maybe you could pick up your own cheapy car? you would need one if you want to make use of the licence, maybe? in any case when i was learning my instructor told me after a few lessons the next step just had to be getting my own and practising in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭rachos89

I have to agree with the others here, I did my first driving test on just lessons and failed miserably, having had tons of lessons over months and months. Then this year I got a car of my own and had a load of practice, then 2 lessons before the test and passed with flying colours yesterday :) I think having a car is an absolute must! It's hard to get properly comfortable in a car that's not your own or that you only get an hour or two a week in. And it's really obvious in your test whether or not you're comfortable in the driver's seat! I say bite the bullet and invest in a car and some insurance - if you pass before the year is up you might even get some of the premium back (as has happened to me) :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

Thanks for all the replies. I really should be driving by now and it would be handy for college.

What would think of this car to start off with:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201131408173418/sort/priceasc/usedcars/price-to/3000/ni-only/on/model/yaris/make/toyota/postcode/bt39jp/quicksearch/true/page/1/radius/1501?logcode=p

I'd say I will be able to afford this next september any ideas how much a yaris this spec would cost then?

Thanks again. Look forward to your replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭rachos89

I priced a LOT of Yarises while I was looking for a car, and one of that spec should cost in the region of €2300-€2500. Carzone.ie is a handy website to check because it has tons of cars and good search filters. Just make sure you get a mechanic to check the car before you commit to buying it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

rachos89 wrote: »
    I priced a LOT of Yarises while I was looking for a car, and one of that spec should cost in the region of €2300-€2500. Carzone.ie is a handy website to check because it has tons of cars and good search filters. Just make sure you get a mechanic to check the car before you commit to buying it!!

That one I've linked would be about €2300 including vrt how much could I expect to knock off if I was buying this same car in a year.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

So what do you think?
    Absolutely it's possible. I did and I'm sure there are many other like me who have too.
    That said, I see pupils who could really do with additional practice between lessons quite often. My advice would be to be as prepared as you can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭ThunderZtorm

Thanks for all the replies. I really should be driving by now and it would be handy for college.

What would think of this car to start off with:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201131408173418/sort/priceasc/usedcars/price-to/3000/ni-only/on/model/yaris/make/toyota/postcode/bt39jp/quicksearch/true/page/1/radius/1501?logcode=p

I'd say I will be able to afford this next september any ideas how much a yaris this spec would cost then?

Thanks again. Look forward to your replies.

My friends told me "your first car should be an old, cheap car that can take a few small dents and such", thus, I bought a mate's car, a 98 peugeot 306 for 650 euros. Haven't regretted it at all, the car drives nicely and if something happens, it's not the end of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

As everyones said, it can be done, and has been done, but it's not the wise choice tbh.

If you take your test on only lessons, you're very unprepared for any situation that might have occured outside of a lesson. That's where driving with an experienced driver comes in. Aside from that, if you passed your test, do you truly think you'd be competent enough to start driving on your own from that moment? You're after missing out on months of experience, with the possibility of having someone in the car to guide you, and you're being let away on your own with virtually no experience driving on the roads. IMO that's a recipe for disaster.

And a yaris has pretty much depreciated as much as it will, so the price now may be the same (or more) in a years time. Have a look on donedeal or adverts.ie, carzone tends to be full of overpriced cars.

Advertisement