Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal oblitation regarding booking consultation

Options
  • 12-09-2011 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Hi there
    I wonder if anyone knows if clients have a legal obligation to pay if they book a consultation and dont turn up or cancel.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

This query may be better off in the legal forum, over under Soc. I dunno, did you make a verbal contract in making an appointment?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kitkat.3b4t

Hi Julius
    Thanks for your reply. I always inform clients of cancellation policy, usually over the phone. Maybe I should send them an email so that they have something more substantial to look at. Anyway I'll try the legel forum. I'm not going to really bother pursuing people for money, but I would like to know where the law stands on this.

Just noticed I have spelt obligation wrong and the edit button has disappeared. That's really annoying!! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I doubt it, I know it is one of those really annoying things when people DNA, as far as I know the best you can do is send them a bill, which usually means the will stop attending. If the person just misses sessions but continues to attend you stand a chance of getting paid for missed appointments, but otherwise I think the only thing you can do is write it off.

It happens less in private practice, but in my HSE work where the service is free I generally get at least 2 DNA's a day. It is very unusal for me to get a perfect game when all my clients turn up that day. You can contract all you want but if people don't want to pay for missed sessions the generally drop out of therapy, or repeat the cycle with another therapist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Having worked in a Solicitor's office in the past, a verbal agreement would not stand up in Court. I know if I went to a therapist when I was feeling very vulnerable and they got me to sign a legal agreement, I would not have returned as to me it made the focus more on the money than helping me. Yes, at the end of the day you have to cover your costs with covering rent for the room etc. I missed a session accidentally before, as the time was changed, and so was the day, and I thought it was just the time and not the day, but my therapist waived the cancellation policy as she understood it was a genuine mistake and we had a long working relationship at that time so she knew that this was unlike me.

• Advertisement

I know lots of people have genuine reasons for late cancellations, but some people just dont turn up, they dont even bother to ring and say they wont be there. To me that shows a lack of common manners!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I know lots of people have genuine reasons for late cancellations, but some people just dont turn up, they dont even bother to ring and say they wont be there. To me that shows a lack of common manners!!!

I know it is a pain, but that is what people do, at the end of the day I would say it has more to do with their own anxiety than manners. At least in private practice people in general have more motivation to attend, where you supply a service for free the DNA rate can be terrible; especially when you add the unmanageable life-styles of say people with addiction.

However, at least you are still getting paid when you work for a service; whereas in private practice you not only missing the fee, but you still paying for the room rental. Sadly though I don't think there is anything you can do about; it's the nature of the work we do.

When doing private work I always make sure I have some work or study materials with me so if the person does DNA at least I can make use of the time.

Odysseus wrote: »
    I know it is a pain, but that is what people do, at the end of the day I would say it has more to do with their own anxiety than manners. At least in private practice people in general have more motivation to attend, where you supply a service for free the DNA rate can be terrible; especially when you add the unmanageable life-styles of say people with addiction.

However, at least you are still getting paid when you work for a service; whereas in private practice you not only missing the fee, but you still paying for the room rental. Sadly though I don't think there is anything you can do about; it's the nature of the work we do.

When doing private work I always make sure I have some work or study materials with me so if the person does DNA at least I can make use of the time.

When I get a DNA I usually head down to the shops - no doubt this adds to my financial problems. I'm also inclined to comfort myself with cream cakes and coffee, which doesnt do much for my general health!!! Little do the DNA's know or care about the knock on effect of their not turning up!!!

Advertisement