Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are my options after periodontal disease?

Options
  • 12-09-2011 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭

I had periodontal disease last year..

I started to get it treated late last year,it is gone now but my gums receded a bit around my top two front teeth and i now have a fairly big gap between my top two which i have got very concious of...

What are my options to getting this sorted?

Can i go to a orthodontist to fix this gap or who do i go to?

I never had a gap between these teeth before and now when i laugh or smile i become very concious of it and i just want to get it fixed..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭top madra

Or is it a prosthodontist that i should go see?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

if you have lost gum between your teeth this is called "black triangle disease". It is common after some periodontal disease. If you teeth are well aligned and not crooked the you basically have three options.

1. Cosmetic Masking with veneers, crowns or filling depending on your situation.
    2. Periodontal regeneration - grafts of the gum and bone to try regain the gum between the teeth, this is very unpredictable.
    3. Flattening between the teeth and braces to draw then closer together.

A prosthodontist may be your best port of call of a overall opinion and can advise you which road to take. Its a tricky problem to solve.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭top madra

my teeth are not really crooked,its really just my front top two that the gum receded in and then they moved apart..

any recommendations of a trusted prosthodontist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Op discuss it with the clinician who treated your periodontitis. If this is a problem with a disease process like gingivitis/periodontitis then this must be treated first. You then need advice on your treatment options to improve cosmetics. If the gaps can be closed orthodontically then this may be the ideal option as no drilling of your teeth is necessary, your teeth are just moved into a position of optimal aesthetics. Placing veneers/crowns on the teeth is pretty straight forward for most dentists who do ceramic work provided it does not make your front teeth to big relative to the adjacent teeth each side, if it does then ortho is the way to go otherwise you may need multiple crowns/veneers to keep everything in proportion.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭picturehangup

Having had some issues with gums, I researched and dug up this old thread.

Have not been overly happy with my dentist of late, and I feel that I am going to loose a bottom wisdom, and molar beside it, unless I do something about it now! My wisdom tooth is shaky, but has been like that for years, yet it was only on my last visit that he wanted to remove it there and then. Naturally, I want to hold onto it, if I can, so looking for a second opinion, in case there may be a chance it can be saved.

I consider that I should have been referred to a periodontist by my dentist, but have sourced one myself. I have periodontal disease, but I am keeping everything as clean as I can.

Has anyone else out there more recent experience/success with periodontal regeneration (the name itself sounds very hopeful!)Or anyone out there able to recommend an excellent periodontist? Would be grateful for PM.s regarding recommendations/ones to avoid. Many thanks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement