Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone in Third Year Applied Bioscience?

• 12-09-2011 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭

Just looking at the timetables for second year, was wondering if anyone is in third year or graduated that might be able to give me some pointers for what's ahead of me this year, like content covered or advice for books. I've a week to get a head start and I'd like to make the most of it!

Yes, I'm a square, but I cut it really fine with my results this year, and I don't want to make the same mistake twice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭emmbay

OMG that timetable is great, hopefully it doesn't change, hoping I get into second year now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 sharona1980

@ ShaShaBear...Wasnt in Bioscience, but completed my 3rd Year in Pharmaceuticals this year. Heading into 4th Year now.We did share alot of classes though.
    Just a word of advice in general.
    Keep up with your work.Start any projects/assignments as soon as you get them, or else they'll just start mounting up.
    This will not be good for your situation, as you will be doing your thesis also and your literature review (which also includes a presentation).
    Last years Bioscience had their thesis in the 2nd Semester, which was even more pressurising as they had their finals to study for also (my thesis was in the 1st Semester, so studying for Xmas exams wasnt too bad).
    Any other questions I can help you with, I will reply:)
    Wishing you all the best.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Only going into second year :P But yeah, trying to get on top of things as quick as I can this time round, was a bit lax at the end of last year, but three months of sitting on your bum can motivate you! I'm mostly worried about organic chemistry this year - I really struggled with it in the Leaving Cert, and that was '06, so anything I did learn is well gone now! :P

Hi ShaShaBear, Sorry misunderstood the 3rd Year thing. I was the same with the organic chemistry (mainly due to how it was taught). However, since I did it in 2nd Year, a new lecturer joined the department (no names mentioned). Since then the approach to organic chemistry has changed for the better. The lecturer is more than helpful; they wish to help you as much as they can in the subject (great effort is put in to all lecture notes, the slides used for topics are great). No spoon-feeding, but because the lecturer is so nice and makes it really easy to understand, you may actually enjoy the topic (this is coming from a mature student who dropped science after the Junior Cert!!).

Well the male chemistry lecturer I had for last year was fantastic, and it looks like I have him for Organic according to the timetable =D

So, you managed to get a fourth year? I'd really love to go on and do the 4th year Environmental Science, but Breda said there isn't usually a lot of interest and it ends up not running :(

• Advertisement

Well its running this year.Not sure the number of people doing it this year. If you have any free time over the next couple of weeks, feel free to drop into them in their Honours classroom (think its gonna be the one opposite the computer room):) They are a lovely lot, so I'm sure they'll help you if you need to know any further information.I agree with you about the lecturer also. It really helps when they are great at their job!!:o
    Feel free to post if you need help with anything.:D

Might just do that, it seems a bit silly planning so far ahead, but it was what I wanted to do originally, only I didn't get the points, so this is a rather pleasant back door ;) Good to know there's someone floating about when I'm sitting here at 3am tearing my hear out over covalency bonding between carboxyl molecules...

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Might just do that, it seems a bit silly planning so far ahead, but it was what I wanted to do originally, only I didn't get the points, so this is a rather pleasant back door ;) Good to know there's someone floating about when I'm sitting here at 3am tearing my hear out over covalency bonding between carboxyl molecules...

OOhhhh:eek: Physical Chem?? Your just right planning like you do.Least you have something to aim for, which makes the journey worthwhile. As for 3am??:) You need your sleep too as to be able to concentrate in class. So don't stay up toooo late!!:P

I remember my mum heard I was up until 2 or 3am most nights from my ex (he neglected to mention I was studying) and she thought I was out boozing. When she found out I wasn't, she seemed sort of disappointed :P

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭emmbay

Can you get a level 6 after doing two years on ABS or have they done away with that?

• Advertisement

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Well the male chemistry lecturer I had for last year was fantastic, and it looks like I have him for Organic according to the timetable =D

So, you managed to get a fourth year? I'd really love to go on and do the 4th year Environmental Science, but Breda said there isn't usually a lot of interest and it ends up not running :(

Hi ShaShaBear, Just an update with yourself. Yes managed to get into 4th year Biopharmaceuticals and have just got my results:) Got a 2.1!!!! Over the moon about it. It was the most difficult thing I've ever done in my life (considering I've gone through labour:D). There was only 4 people doing 4th Year Environmental as I remember, but there is room for more people. There was only 16 people in my class for 4th year but think they are increasing their numbers for 2012-2013. How did you do???

Hi ShaShaBear, Just an update with yourself. Yes managed to get into 4th year Biopharmaceuticals and have just got my results:) Got a 2.1!!!! Over the moon about it. It was the most difficult thing I've ever done in my life (considering I've gone through labour:D). There was only 4 people doing 4th Year Environmental as I remember, but there is room for more people. There was only 16 people in my class for 4th year but think they are increasing their numbers for 2012-2013. How did you do???

Oooh well done!!

I've to repeat two out of second year - Stats and Micro (not one bit surprised about the Stats!), but hopefully I'll get them second time round and get back into 3rd year! I find the Micro lecturer is marking very hard, harder than she really should. As for the stats guy, I don't think he even knows what he's teaching :(

Advertisement