Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

militaria shop in Belfast

Options
  • 12-09-2011 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

Has anyone had any dealings with the Italian? guy who sells militaria at the Smithfield market in Belfast?

I went in and said that I was interested in WW1 medals, which he showed me, but appeared reluctant to sell them claiming would I not respect them and appeared to be somewhat eccentric.

I was under the impression he was selling the goods in his shop.It was a strange experience.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

On the positive side, at least you will never forget him :pac:

Sad night for me, just lost an NVA Ehrendolch by several euro :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Jim S

Eric Laurro is the gent.
    He is "eccentric" , a gent who has since moved to England told me how the same gent had passed himself off as a relative of "Bentio" and he told me how he had found a U Boat off the South Coast and had over a few years dived, recovered and sold the contents of the boat .... after each dive he booby trapped the hatch to blow up anyone who attempted to enter !!!

He tried to sell me a set of WW1 NCO issue binoculars as " a special Zeppelin Airship issue binocular" and if I could get him a better set he would give me £180 for them , when a few weeks later I presented him with a better set he had all sorts of reasons why he would not give me his previously quoted price.

He does tell some very tall tales and he dreams up prices to match them amongst a lot of junk he does have the odd good item but I do doubt if he knows much about them....some amazing uniforms....... all "the real deal" buying from him , impossible ....his prices are not bound by the laws which govern reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Buataisi

I got stuck there for ages while he rambled on about how there used to be a wall of ice a mile high dividing the North and South of Ireland. I think he saw an episode of Game of Thrones and got confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Jim S

There are a few shops along Queens street which sell general antiques and some militeria , one shop there has a small independent seller who deals in militeria on the top floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

Buataisi wrote: »
    I got stuck there for ages while he rambled on about how there used to be a wall of ice a mile high dividing the North and South of Ireland. I think he saw an episode of Game of Thrones and got confused.

You should have told him you were there to collect tribute for King Robert. Maybe he might have given you something :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Buataisi

From what I've seen and heard I'd be surprised if he's ever sold anything! He just uses neat stuff to lure people in and then bore them to death with his insane stories...reminds me of the Angler Fish.

fig3b_600.jpg

Advertisement