Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minecraft won't run :(

Options
  • 12-09-2011 3:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    Bought it about a year ago, maybe less I don't honestly remember. My pc couldn't run it but I played it a bit on my partner's pc. I fully upgraded to a gaming build this year (bar HDD) and it won't run on this either. My guessing is that OpenGL is mega old and that's why it's not supported on either machine, but I reckon more people'd have that problem. It's frustrating!

When I run the old login, where the writing is is all corrupted and glitchy then it shuts itself down. When I click play in browser, it doesn't let me log in/crashes. I can take screenshots if anyone wants me to as I'm sure this sounds garbled.

I've deleted the whole program and the .bin before as per tips online but reinstall of it goes through the same failures. Any ideas guys? Am fairly clueless and I wanna plaaaaaaaaaay! :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Updated Java?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

Latest version, which is a different version to when old pc couldn't run it

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

What's the PC specs?

Asus GeForce GTX 560, Intel Core i5-2300 2.80GHz (Sandybridge), Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3 Intel P67 Chipset DDR3 Motherboard - (Sandybridge) ** B3 REVISION **
    Antec 620W PSU, 2x4GB Corsair RAM...I know this is most likely overboard info but figured I'd add anything that might be related. HDD is a couple of years old Hitachi but am sure that wouldn't affect it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Same thing was happening to me. I'd get a log on screen (version 1.7.3) and then it'd immediately go black and close and create a java error file.

Resolved it by completely uninstalling my graphics driver and going to my laptop (Toshiba) site and re-installing from there. Now it works fine!

I was days fiddling with uninstalling reinstalling differing versions of java (cos I have a poxy 64bit operating system).

Good place to ask would be the minecraft forums too.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/index.php

• Advertisement

Still unable to get it to work. Tried offline, online and in-browser in safe mode with networking even and nothing for any. Got a bit of hope there after the update the other day where it ACTUALLY updated instead of a black screen, but the loading bar hangs near the end and Java is frozen.

Tried installing a different opengl.dll thingy but no dice.

Tried different versions of java and graphics card drivers, no dice.

Tried copying in files from a zip file (forget the name, but no dice aside from could now update til the bar hangs)

Deleted it and reinstalled .bin and whole application more times than my downloads folder cares to remember!

Forgot to say in post above that I'm running Windows 64 Ultimate FWIW

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I have a lot of stress with Win 64 and Minecraft. Currently it's killing all of my network connectivity after a random length of time, but Windows doesn't realise this has happened and I usually have to reboot.

Yet another reason you don't write games in Java *sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dr.quirky

hey, i was having very similar problems and similar failures was pulling my hair out. when trying another clean install I found a really old backup i had, it had a REALLY old launcher .exe and i tried this and it updated to 1.8.1 no problem and now im playing fine.
    I cant remember where i got the old launcher most likely torrented from somewhere to be honest, and fyi I have since paid for the game because i am a pirate, NOT a thief. If you can get your hands on an old launcher with the "force update" option it might be worth a try.
    hope you get it sorted anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 matman997

Hi guys,
    I think I'm havin the same problem. However, i dont think its an issue with specs. I have an i7 intel processor, lots of memory, and the game used to run just grand before. It just stopped working all of a sudden. I contacted Mojang but they didn't want to know, they simply redirected me to a mountain of forums, none of which i have found useful so far.
    I'm given a report when i open the game and i can put up a screenshot when i figure out how windows 8 works...

Thanks in advance lads!

Advertisement