Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paddling Gloves?

Options
  • 11-09-2011 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm going for a week's sea kayaking in Southern Turkey in 2 weeks time. I have very little experience (they require none) but the one thing they do recommend bringing is 'paddling gloves'. I've been paddling before on holidays in NZ and Canada but only for a couple of hours and we wore wetsuits but no gloves. On this holiday it will be up to 6 hours paddling a day. As the water could still be up to 20 degrees I think it is in case of blistering rather than to keep hands warm, so I wonder what type of gloves I need exactly?
    Some brief googling leads me to things like scuba gloves which isn't what I had in mind, I was thinking more along the lines of fingerless cycling gloves. Could your hands get too warm in gloves made of wetsuit material or is there anything else I should be looking out for bearing in mind that my primary concern is avoiding blistering ? Do paddlers generally wear gloves?

Thanks,

Usjes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

As a general rule most paddlers would not wear gloves adn I would not be a fan myself, but if this is the reason you need them.
    Usjes wrote: »
    Hi,

As the water could still be up to 20 degrees I think it is in case of blistering rather than to keep hands warm, so I wonder what type of gloves I need exactly?

I would pick up a pair of these 'pogies' from i-canoe, based in Dublin and do fantastic online service

HERE

Enjoy your holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

As a general rule most paddlers would not wear gloves

I know plenty of paddlers who wear gloves, not sure what the general rule is on not waering them, but there is a general understanding that Irish winters tend to be cold and gloves help to keep the aul hands if not warm, some what protected from cold wind and icy water. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭ec18

I'd tend to agree with adrian i don't like wearing gloves and in cold weather pogies are the way to go! But for what you want them for I'd recommend a cheap set of cycling or weight lifting mits. It's only really the inside of your thumb that blisters and you can pick them up for a a few euro in argos or lidl/aldi. I think pogies would be over kill for what you want especially if it's just to prevent blistering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

The benefit of warmth you get is, for me at least, more than offset by the lessening of feeling and control. As a result of impaired feeling, you grip harder, and your muscles get fatigued a lot earlier. It can be really sore.
    Any feeling of cold I get is lost once I get onto the rapid.
    Pogies to keep the wind chill off.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Left Field

Pogies are great - it is generally wind-chill that makes your hands cold and not the water, (in these climes anyway).

Be very careful with gloves. As said above a pair of neoprene gloves makes it hard and tiring to grip the paddle. You can get a repetitive strain injury/tendonitus very quickly with these if you are susceptible.

Fabric gloves can cause more blistering that bare skin on paddles because of salt water mixing with material. Try any new purchase out carefully before commiting to a long trip with them.

Oh and by the way - Enjoy the trip!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Gloves ?

I wouldn't imagine it's that cold is it ?

Maybe if you're turkish I suppose.

Anyway, +1 on the No Gloves. Mitts are the way forward if you're using anything and at that, I don't really ever use mine.

Just stick your hands down your pants if they get cold. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭pmccormack

If its for prevention of blisters try light sailing or cycling gloves they wont hamper your grip too much and can be light enough that they wont over heat your hands!!! sailing ones are designed to be wet and in the water so maybe they are the best bet!!!
    If you are not a kayaker or even if you are 6 hours in a sea kayak for a few days blisters will happen so prevention from the start is better the trying to reduce the pain after!!!

Patrick
    www.irishcanoekayak.com

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Ah the penny has dropped.... Blister prevention.

vaseline.jpg:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Ah you're all too hardcore for my liking :D

I have a pair of these yokes - http://www.aswatersports.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?cPath=36_64&products_id=426&osCsid=1l7kk7eaiek2kqjphovjqfsnk4

Case of having to in cold weather I get a spot of Raynauds syndrome so while these keep the base of the wrist and muscle joint of the thumb covered you still have the palm and fingers free :)

Advertisement