Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carontoohill wind speed?

Options
  • 11-09-2011 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

I was up up on Carontoohil this weekend and the wind was, in my opinion very dangerous.

It was strong enough to knock me right off my feet, and if i lay back into it, it actually blew me upright again( and onto my face!).

With severe gusts, all we could do was crouch low to the ground for a few seconds/minutes until it became calm enough to continue.

Im wondering if there are any measurments for the max windspeed up on the summit of carontoohill?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Had a few days like that in the Comeraghs too. Was forced to crawl on all fours for a bit once.

Not to mention the night I woke up in a half sitting, half standing position after the tent, myself and my gear were all lifted by the wind. Learned a few lessons that trip I can tell you.

As for wind speed I think the fastest recorded one in Ireland (not carrauntoohil) was about 200kmh in the 70's. But surely mountain tops and in particular certain ridges I've walked seem to either channel or speed up whatever wind is there so I imagine it would be faster on higher ground.

Am curious to see if there is data in existance as I was going to buy a recording weather station and stick it up the Comeraghs for a week during last years freeze to see what it was like there.
    If I have a spare few quid this year I may be tempted.

Best of luck in your quest!
    R.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭construct06

hey was up there that day too was unbelievable the wind. visibility poor aswell.... still good achievement to climb in those tough conditions...

Advertisement