Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PhD fees

Options
  • 11-09-2011 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm starting a PhD this year and the advert said that the PhD fees would be paid yet when I go to register I'm being asked to pay student fees. Does anyone know if this is the case with all PhDs and that I'll be reimbursed my costs or will I actually have to secure my own funding? I have applied for a scholarship that would have covered my fees but I didn't get it. If anyone has any information about this it'd be a great help.
    Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Talk to your PI/PhD coordinator, they should be able to tell you what's what. There are different fees for different faculties (eg, i know the PhD annual fees for science are 5500, and that my funding covers that), there's a single set of fees for a PhD (unlike the 2k + tuition for undergrad).

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭H2G2

No you don't pay anything. Your supervisor fills in a form (SAF) and send to your faculty office and that goes to Registry. If you tell Registry you are a scholarship student and the SAF form is on the way, they should release the ID card. Otherwise ask your supervisor / faculty administrator.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭kellyi3

Thanks for your help guys, its much appreciated. Its hard to find an answer from anyone in DCU sometimes. I just hope it'll all work out as I'm not in receipt of any scholarships.

Maybe my credit union will give me a student loan? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭RubyRoss

kellyi3 wrote: »
    Thanks for your help guys, its much appreciated. Its hard to find an answer from anyone in DCU sometimes.

I thought it was just me!

Someone floated the idea of an informal postgard meetup last year which I think would be a great idea - anyone still interested in doing that?
    Unless you have structured classes, the weeks fly by without meeting anyone.

Advertisement