Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current Grocery Retail Market in Eire

Options
  • 11-09-2011 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi,

For anybody working in grocery retail or simply has anything to add.

How is everybody finding the grocery retail trade at the moment. what do you make of the market and why. Who do you think is winning /losing ATM.

Zikan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Zikan wrote: »
    Hi,

For anybody working in grocery retail or simply has anything to add.

How is everybody finding the grocery retail trade at the moment. what do you make of the market and why. Who do you think is winning /losing ATM.

Zikan

As an Irish person living abroad and someone who frequently travels back and forth between the Netherlands, Germany and Ireland the overall bill for your shop works out around the same.

In fact I would say there is more competition in the Irish Market.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

I'm an amateur bodybuilder, so I tend to eat similar foods in similar quantities most of the time.
    My weekly grocery bill has jumped by about €15 since about February.
    (that's €15 on €50, which is significant)

Lidl in particular have been getting more and more expensive recently.
    I think part of the increase is the result of the widespread ending of offers tho (e.g. it was €9 for a jar of coffee in Lidl recently, it had been €6 for ages).
    I can't say I've seen any price increase at the English market tho.

As regards price, some countries seem to be cheap in one area and expensive in another, so I'd be inclined to agree with the poster above me.
    You can save a small fortune by going to the right market.
    If you stick to shopping centres, you're screwed obviously.

As regards quality tho, I think the quality of our food is poor in Ireland compared to other countries.
    In particular, meat from shopping centres is pumped up with salt water then frozen. (another reason go to a butcher/market). Fruit/Veg are overloaded with chemicals.
    I usually lose 2/3kg of water weight in the first week when I go abroad.

I always find it interesting to compare Eastern European women when they arrive here to 6months/12months later - usually a lot of weight gain in the interim. Their bodies cannot handle Irish food, LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Fruit on sale here is of very poor quality compared to any other country I have shopped in.

Advertisement