Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Louis Walsh - past his prime?

Options
  • 10-09-2011 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

Am I the only one who thinks that Louis Walsh is past his prime at this stage? I am really not impressed anymore and this needs to be said because some still have him overrated.

I mean he's no good on X Factor, started in 2009 when he was so supportive of Jedward because they were "entertaining". I'm really happy Gary's there now because he actually looks for singers who can sing.

I also think he's become far too supportive of Westlife. He fell out with Cheryl Cole just because Cheryl joked about them, I mean we all do now and again. Westlife also are past their time, they need to stop releasing ballads and write their own songs but Louis can't stand people that point that out. Its constructive criticism, its not bashing.

I can understand with Boyzone, he felt they were "yesterday's men" but could he not try that with his other bands. Westlife are an example, they need to realise its time for a change.

And what did he do to promote Wonderland? They have just lost their record deal, surely that could have been stopped if there was more interest in them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

I'm sorry, but did he ever have a prime? I mean who was this man before the X Factor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

He's a manager of crap pop acts. And a good one at that. He could do that when he's 70. As for the x-factor. I don't watch such things so can't comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,125 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

But he was born to do this he belongs on that judging panel :p

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭temply

was he ever in his prime?

still though, fair play to him, he's made a grand whack of cash for himself, has a pretty sweet jerb on the x factor & a lifestyle I'd like for myself

no rat race for Louis!!

and more power to him

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Define 'prime'. Technically he's making more money than he ever has.

Jedward are probably the most successful act ever to come out of the X Factor, and they can't even sing. That's completely down to Louis. He managed to get Jedward on the cover of a magazine live on the X Factor once.

He's one of the best around at what he does.

his girl group had a reality show or something, and he made a good few quid off it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

phasers wrote: »
    his girl group had a reality show or something, and he made a good few quid off it.

I don't think he ever made money of his girl group hence why they were dropped.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Tiocfaidh Armani

You would think every band launched make it. The vast majority don't so why is he slated for one not making it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Irishgalclare

I say well done to Louis and feck the begrudgers!!
    He's Irish and he's successful - that's enough for a lot of our countrymen (and women) to knock him. Louis for President.

http://saveeentertainment.com/artists-and-shows/louis-walsh/
    Louis Walsh is the undisputed king of the Irish pop scene. He is the man behind some of the most successful bands in pop history, masterminding the careers of Boyzone, Westlife, Samantha Mumba, Girls Aloud, Shayne Ward and of course Jedward. The fact that he has achieved over a staggering 28 No.1 hits is a testament to his success and is one of the reasons why Louis Walsh is one of the most respected names in the music industry today.
    Louis first taste of success came when he spotted an artist called Johnny Logan. Louis was convinced that Logan could be a big hit if he was given the right break and persuaded him to sing at The Eurovision Song Contest. His gamble paid off and in 1980 Johnny Logan won the 25th Eurovision Song Contest in front of 500 million viewers. Logan’s first album sold half a million copies within three days of its release, catapulting Logan to No. 1 in eleven European countries.
    With a No.1 artist already under his belt, Louis was ready for his next challenge. Relying on his instincts, Louis knew that his next hit would be with a band to rival the success of Take That. A series of auditions followed and five unknown artists were plucked from obscurity. Ronan Keating, the late and great Stephen Gately, Keith Duffy, Shane Lynch and Mikey Graham made up the band and Boyzone was born. They achieved 16 top three singles, six of which were No.1s and four No.1 albums, selling over 12 million copies worldwide. When Ronan Keating announced he wanted to take a break from Boyzone, Louis continued to manage his career, helping him to score a No.1 hit with ‘Life is a Rollercoaster’ in 2000. Ronan’s solo album shot to No.1 and a further two hit singles were released from the album, which went on to sell over 4.4 million copies. Just before Stephen Gately’s untimely death in 2009 Louis and Boyzone were working together on their comeback tour and album. Following Stephen’s death Boyzone released Boyzone Brother in memory of Stephen.
    Louis next discovery, Westlife, proved a hit from the start. Record companies were falling over themselves to sign the band and in 1998 Simon Cowell of RCA signed them up in a multi-million pound deal. Their first single ‘Swear it Again’ reached No.1 and since 1998 they have achieved 14 No.1 hits and six No.1 albums in the UK the third highest in UK history tying with Cliff Richard and just trailing behind the Beatles and Elvis.
    Louis was also the mastermind behind Lulu’s duet album featuring stars such as Paul McCartney, Sting and Elton John and the album was Lulu’s most successful release to date, reaching No. 4 in the Charts.
    In 2001, Louis made his first foray into television on the Irish version of Popstars. The show made Louis a household name in both Ireland and the UK. The following year, Louis appeared as a judge on Popstars: The Rivals, along with Pete Waterman and Geri Halliwell. Louis went head to head with Pete Waterman on the show, with his all girl band Girls Aloud battling it out with Pete’s boy band, One True Voice. Girls Aloud won hands down and their debut single achieved the coveted UK Christmas No. 1.
    In 2004 Louis first appeared as a judge on The X Factor, and found chart success with G4, who went on to have two chart topping platinum selling albums.
    In 2005 he found success again as mentor to Shayne Ward who went on to win The X Factor that year. Shaynes debut single That’s My Goal spent four weeks at number and his debut album has sold over 3 million copies to date.
    JLS, who were mentored by Louis in 2008 have gone on to have huge UK chart success. And in 2009, Louis once again mentored one of X Factors most controversial acts, John and Edward Grimes. Aka Jedward. Since leaving The X Factor Louis has managed Jedward who have gone on to have a No.2 selling single with Vanilla Ice and a Top 20 album in the UK. In Ireland the twins have had 2 No.1 singles and their album has become the highest selling album in Ireland of 2010 to date. The twins have now become a pop sensation across Europe after they represented Ireland in the Eurovision Song Contest last May. Louis Walsh’s vision for the twins is never ending as they are constantly touring, releasing new music and receiving a string of TV offers, sponsorship deals and opportunities.
    Louis Walsh is highly regarded as one of the most powerful people in the music industry and therefore is highly sought after for public appearance’s, presentation ceremonies, judging and promo opportunity’s.

Lulu is pop royalty :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Tiocfaidh Armani

I say well done to Louis and feck the begrudgers!!
    He's Irish and he's successful - that's enough for a lot of our countrymen (and women) to knock him. Louis for President.

We're a nation of them. He obviously loves Ireland, it comes across on the show and he always shows mad bias towards the Irish people on it and flys the flag for us and is not ashamed of it. I don't watch the show through choice because the missus watches it but do like Louis.

Shame Louis wasn't about in 1916 we'd have brought the Brits to their knees!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

We're a nation of them. He obviously loves Ireland, it comes across on the show and he always shows mad bias towards the Irish people on it and flys the flag for us and is not ashamed of it. I don't watch the show through choice because the missus watches it but do like Louis.

Shame Louis wasn't about in 1916 we'd have brought the Brits to their knees!:D

Imagine Lulu with a Gun ..... Jaysus :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭andy2die4

Imagine Lulu with a Gun...and Talent

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭andy2die4

Or Louis and Lulu with Guns back in 1916, they would end up storming Buckingham Palace.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Lash_Alert

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but did he ever have a prime? I mean who was this man before the X Factor?

Manager of possibly two of the biggest boybands of all time? Also the man U2 credit getting them Paul mcguiness as their manager.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Lash_Alert wrote: »
    Manager of possibly two of the biggest boybands of all time? Also the man U2 credit getting them Paul mcguiness as their manager.

Really???

I never knew that!

Do you have a link for this?!

Do you mean Westlife and Boyzone :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

The fact that there's a bunch of jealous people on here trying to put him down says it all. Louis is King, so let you people go suck on that. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Well considering Westlife and Boyzone have sold 44 million and 40 million records worldwide respectively, I don't see this as being an invalid argument.

While I do agree that neither band are as relevant as they used to be there is still only a handful of acts branded "boybands" who have been more successful.

The Backstreet Boys, New Kids on The Block, Take That, the Beach Boys and the Bee Gees are probably the only bands in the same category to sell more records worldwide.

Regarding Louis Walsh, I think he's too supportive of Westlife who haven't really released much good new material since 2005.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Louis has done very well for himself and for the acts he represents. Comes across as a very obliging and down to earth guy. I'd imagine pretty rare qualities for the cut throat business he's in?

He's made alot of money for himself (and others) selling music, you may like the music, but clearly many do.

Louis some man for one man:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

ziggy wrote: »
    They weren't exactly AC/DC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

I love the 'because we're Irish' bluster from some posters. Where he's from shouldn't be a reason to promote or negate his relevance. Paraphrasing Shaw, patriotism is the conviction that you are best country amongst others because you were born in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Dotsy28

When was he ever in his prime?? or am i missing something here. Like what was his 'prime' as? In my opinion he's a prime candidate for a good hiding the way he has inflicted Jedward on the masses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

He also touched me:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Dotsy28 wrote: »
    When was he ever in his prime?? or am i missing something here. Like what was his 'prime' as? In my opinion he's a prime candidate for a good hiding the way he has inflicted Jedward on the masses

nail. head.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

unreggd wrote: »
    nail. head.
    Can we get 4 yesses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

amdublin wrote: »
    Really???

I never knew that!

Do you have a link for this?!

Sorry for slow response,forgot about this. Bono said it on the late late show in 2009.

"In a May 2009 interview on RTÉ's Late Late Show, Bono revealed that in 1980, U2 were chatting in a bar in Dublin about firing their manager Paul McGuinness due to his inability to find a van for the band. A stranger sitting nearby then came over to their table and said "Guys, I couldn't help but overhear your problems. I actually know the person you're talking about and this is a really big mistake, he's a great guy, he's the right manager for U2, you should really work it out!" Bono concluded this story saying: "Well, that guy was Louis Walsh".

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Yes. As someone fairly quickly pointed out, between them they have sold amost 100 million records. I would say that supports my claim. Further onto this Ronan solo has solf another 30million or so.

Also, when boyzone broke up in 2000, at that stage they had had ore chart success and much larger sales than take that, dunno how much thats changed now though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Die you prick of a bot! Get out of my forums!
    znzn wrote: »
    We creates and sells a mass of jerseys, including customize football jerseys,

wholesale nfl jerseys, nhl hockey jerseys, mlb baseball jerseys, nba basketball

jerseys and top selling womens jerseys, which various styles are contained, even

from the authentic ones to throwback and the customize. More order discount

authentic jerseys, more save! Warmly welcome your visit

http://www.nflyouthjerseystore.com!

custom jersey
    nhl hockey jerseys
    wholesale nfl jerseys
    nhl new jerseys

Advertisement