Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registering for VAT

Options
  • 10-09-2011 5:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi all,

I am not at all business minded and therefore I am at a loss as to what to do in this situation. I provide hip hop dance classes as a hobbie but I take fees for it. I do not make much from it and i think I probably loose money at it to be honest. The thing is I am also working in the public sector and people are telling me I should register for VAT as a sole trader.. basically I am completely confused and dont really know whst to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated..:confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭dbran

Hi

Unless you are going to have a turnover of over 37.5k you are not obliged to register for VAT (but you can do so voluntarily if you wish). As most of your customers are no doubt not vat registered it probably not be to your advantage to register.

Kind Regards

dbran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Bodhraner

Thanks dbran

That's good to know. Does that mean then that I dont need to declare the extra income made from the class?

No. Of course you will have to declare the extra income.

Well then this is the crux of the question then.. how?

Hi

If the net income is less then 3k then you just complete Form 12 and file it in October every year with your local tax office.

If your income is going to be more then 3k then you need to register for income tax and complete form 11.

Go and check out www.revenue.ie about this for further info.

dbran

• Advertisement

Thanks for your help dbran, as you can imagine this stuff is not my forté!

Thanks again
    Bodhraner

No problem Ya!:D

Advertisement