Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

level 7 to 9

Options
  • 10-09-2011 5:30pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭

Hello,

Is there anyone who knows anything about the chance of getting in to a masters programe with a level 7 ordinary degree. I know in the Uk depending on your grades you got in your ordinary degree you have a chance of getting in to masters programes. I am 30 now starting 3 year ord degree. I am hoping to do a masters degree at a later stage in my life. I know someone who has an ordinary degree who done a masters but that person did get a very high grade which i am hoping for too. 4 years of a honours degree is long and there isn't much difference between ordinary and honours.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭VALIS

I don't know the answer to your core question but a lot of masters programmes appear to offer places to students with some years relevant professional experience; perhaps after you complete your ordinary degree, if you can work in the relevant area for some time that would supersede holding a level 8?

Also, is there an option in your course to do an add-on year to bring it up to level 8? That would also save you the bother of doing an extra 4 years to complete a level 8 from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Half of it is if you have relevant expeience in the field you'll be studying in since you finished your degree.

Also be aware that you don't have to do a 4 year course into a masters. I know of multiple people who did a postgraduate diploma conversion course for a year before progressing forward to a taught masters in that same field.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

4 years of a honours degree is long and there isn't much difference between ordinary and honours.

Well there is really, depending on the subject. A lot of material gets covered in a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

Depending on the institution, there may be an option to undertake a skills mapping exercise to prove that you have the requisite skills and experience commensurate with a level 8 qualification (I assume this is a prerequisite for entry). Find out if theres an open day or evening and go along - ask the lecturers if theres scope to follow such a track considering your current qualifications. Failing that, put your case forward in writing and address if to the head of school or the registrar - you've nothing to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Sweetcorn01

It's also possible to get a level 8 degree in 3 years...depending on your area of study & institution.

You sound as if you have a specific masters in mind already? Ask them about entry requirements.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3 Ozzyrules

Hi, Ok for some reason I cant put up a new thread. Anyway was hoping I could get some advice on an issue I am having at the minute.
    Ok well I am 24 years old and qualified with a Nursing degree last year. I was totally looking forward to this degree because I had spent 1000 euro during my internship on a visa for Australia. I was so excited about going.
    I was approached by one of my lecturers that year and he asked me if I was thinking about applying for the Masters by Research Scholarship that was being offered. I told him I honestly had not thought of it. So without really thinking, I said I will put in my C.V and leave it up to faith. Turns out I got it. I actually was really upset and cried when I got the letter of acceptance (I still am not sure whether I was crying because I was heading to Oz anyway to get over a break up and I knew staying would not help or if I was depressed at the thought of spending another 2 years in a county I dont like). I am also preoccupied with the idea that I am missing out on my 20's and not enjoying it like I should be(yes I know people can criticise me for saying that and maybe even call it an uneducated opinion) but it is just how I feel. My friends ring me from Oz and are just having a ball. I almost dread the phone calls at this stage.
    Anyway, I am a year (In November) into my Masters and my supervisors think I am able for a Phd and that there is great scope for my study. They are currently looking for funding for me. It would only mean an extra 12 months onto my Masters but I really dont know what to do. I will be almost 27 when I am finished and I am afraid that it will feel like I was asleep and antisocial for three years and all of a sudden I wake up at 27. Ok I know this sounds crazy, but I really need peoples opinion from an outside perspective??? What comes to mind when you read this?

Ps: I know my head says "This is the right thing to do" and my heart says "Are you going to regret not living your life in your 20's. Why did you not just study when you were older and had your travelling done?"

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭VALIS

So you will have attained a Phd with only an additional 12 months study? I would do that; it's only an extra year, you're still very young.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3 Ozzyrules

Ok had a good think about it and decided that if I got funding, would be crazy not to take it. Because realistically if I stopped now would never go back to do it because it would take prob 5 years on a totally different area. I can now easily live with 12 months. Thanks :)

Advertisement