Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help! my battery is over charging on my corolla!

Options
  • 10-09-2011 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

Hi there,
    The battery on my 00 toyota corolla carvan (1.9 diesel) is over charging.
    The battery light is on in the dash, and the battery is now releasing gas everytime I drive.

I thought that it was the alternator and sent this to the auto electric shop to be reconditioned but the problem still persists.

Anyone any ideas at all?
    thanks for reading

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭crosshair1

What is the voltage at the battery when running?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭coronaextra

Just checked there,

Car on, but no load : 14.1volts
    Car on, full load ( lights, wipers, fan etc) 13.3volts

Car off : 13.0 volts

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭crosshair1

Its not overcharging!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

The alternator was over charging the battery so it probably cooked it. Can you get a lend of a battery to try it out. I'd say its the battery.

Yea I give it a go, I just didnt want to fry another battery, if the alternator was still overcharging.

• Advertisement

fully charges New battery in. Dash battery warning light still on :(

Checked the volts again 14.4 normal car running
    14.2 under load (lights etc.)

Dont know if i should risk driving the car and chance frying this new battery too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Are all the wires on the alternator solidly connected? Signal cable to the dash could be broken / not connected properly

I took the car out this evening for a good long spin with the new battery fitted and it doesnt seem to be overheating.

The dash light may well be a separate issue. I will check for loose connections in the morning. I shall keep you posted!

Thanks for all the replies.

Anyone any ideas at all?
    thanks for reading

Find a decent auto spark, and give them the whole car not just the alternator.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

14.4 volt is perfect, old battery is probably perfect too, stop wasting money and bring car to an auto electrician

• Advertisement

I wont give in just yet, thanks. :rolleyes:

Advertisement