Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Design Patent V's Product Patent

Options
  • 10-09-2011 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi

Has anyone any experience in placing a "design patent" on a product?
    I have been working on developing improved pet housing for a while now and I think I should place a patent on the result.
    All the materials are standard materials (90% Irish, wish it could be 100% Irish but not possible) and whilst the way they are used is indeed innovative, a full product patent probably wouldn't be given. Even if it was, I believe it would only be on that inventive step that sets it apart?
    I have carried out as much online research as possible, I phoned the patents office (nice people, but vague in the advice they could offer), carried out lots of patent searches and later today I'm meeting with an industrial designer who has some experience in this area.
    I believe that a design patent would be the right one for me, as the design is original, I see some architects using this type of patent on their work..?
    I believe that once the design is visible during normal use it can be patented?

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement