Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question About The Surgical Removal of Lower Wisdom Teeth

Options
  • 10-09-2011 1:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

I have an appointment with Dublin Dental University Hospital in a few weeks regarding my lower wisdom teeth. I've been on a waiting list for over two years, so I'm really delighted they've gotten around to me because I'm having trouble with pericoronitis with one tooth in particular.

I've already had my upper wisdom teeth extracted by my own dentist, but I was referred for the lower ones because they weren't fully erupted and both are impacted, not severely, but I don't remember exactly what the dentist called it! One of the teeth has erupted fully since I was put on the waiting list, but as I said, the other has been causing me horrible trouble for the past couple of years.

I'm just wondering, assuming all goes well and no complications occur, how likely is it that I can have both of my lower wisdom teeth extracted on the same day? If it has to be one of them, I really hope it will be the one that's been troubling me, but I also hope that I won't have to wait for another 2 years to get the other one out. I'm more than happy to have them both pulled in the same session, I just want rid of them! I'm also considering braces, because the feckers have done a number on my front teeth, so it's important for me to get them both out sooner rather than later.

I'd appreciate any ideas from the resident dentists and oral surgeons, or from patients who've gone through a similar experience! Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

If both need to come out they will be both done at the same time, of this I am 100% sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

First off, your appointment will be a consultation only- there they can determine what has caused you trouble and what is likely to cause you trouble in the future.

Most likely they will then book you for the removal of both with or without IV sedation. Unfortunately, there is also a wait for treatment, 6-9 months last time I checked... Ask to be put on the cancellation waiting list aswell so if some one cancels their appointment you may get a call (only if you are able to attend at one or two days notice...)

There's not a lot of proof that impacted wisdoms cause overcrowding but if you need braces- work away afterwards.

Its worth mentioning that the dental hospital do not have a contract with the medical insurers so you pay and then claim some of it back of VHI, quinn....

Good luck,
    OS

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Fish Bloke

Good news from fitzgeme, disappointing news from Oral Surgeon! At least I can hope that when the time comes, they'll both be removed at the same time! Thank you both for your help!

Advertisement