Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

studying abroad ... France England Scotland ????

Options
  • 10-09-2011 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hey guys I'm currently just in LC1 but I'm doing research on course's and stuff and the moment just to educate myself for the future and was looking for some advice about going to college in other EU countries and comparing it to the price of going to college here in Ireland . First of all I/m interested in Sound engineering/Music production basically music in general and on the other side of the scale I'm interested in Psychology . I don't know if it makes a difference but I was born in England so I can get a dual passport if I want . So basically where are good and preferably cheap places to study ? From what I can make out France is relatively cheap and also I quite like the French culture and people but do you need to have good French or pass a French test to study there and are courses taught in French and English or what ??? Also I've heard that in Scotland that college is free but don't really know anything other then that . I'm guessing that England would have the highest caliber colleges but also most expensive . Also I did French for J.C. and plan on attempting to do pass French for the leaving . And how do our points system convert to other countries systems ? Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

France is great but really there are not an awful lot of courses in English there

Have a look at some colleges in Belgium and the Netherlands

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Paidi28

France is great but really there are not an awful lot of courses in English there

Have a look at some colleges in Belgium and the Netherlands

Would it work out expensive to got there ? And Would course's there be of good standard ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭esperanza1

Paidi28 wrote: »
    Hey guys I'm currently just in LC1 but I'm doing research on course's and stuff and the moment just to educate myself for the future and was looking for some advice about going to college in other EU countries and comparing it to the price of going to college here in Ireland . First of all I/m interested in Sound engineering/Music production basically music in general and on the other side of the scale I'm interested in Psychology . I don't know if it makes a difference but I was born in England so I can get a dual passport if I want . So basically where are good and preferably cheap places to study ? From what I can make out France is relatively cheap and also I quite like the French culture and people but do you need to have good French or pass a French test to study there and are courses taught in French and English or what ??? Also I've heard that in Scotland that college is free but don't really know anything other then that . I'm guessing that England would have the highest caliber colleges but also most expensive . Also I did French for J.C. and plan on attempting to do pass French for the leaving . And how do our points system convert to other countries systems ? Thanks :)

Unless you plan on going to one of the grandes écoles, the quality of higher education in france is not great. Yes, the fees are low, but if you are used to the anglo-saxon system of education, you'll probably be disappointed. Same goes for Belgium. I'd look at the Netherlands or some of the Scandinavian countries where there are no fees. I've found the following site very useful: bachersportal.eu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Gilldog

hi, not sure if you're still looking for replies on this...

I would recommend Scotland, mostly for the fact that as an EU citizen you are eligible for free fees through SAAS. Also, its only a short flight home if you ever need to hop over, and the fact that language isn't an issue is handy.

I'm in my first year of study in Edinburgh and loving it...

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Paidi28

Gilldog wrote: »
    hi, not sure if you're still looking for replies on this...

I would recommend Scotland, mostly for the fact that as an EU citizen you are eligible for free fees through SAAS. Also, its only a short flight home if you ever need to hop over, and the fact that language isn't an issue is handy.

I'm in my first year of study in Edinburgh and loving it...

I've heard Scotland is good from a few people , what are you studying and what are the people/social life like ? Also what the SAAS ? :) Thanks for the reply !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Gilldog

heya, sorry fo the delay in replying, I just got home for the christmas break - im studying Psychology in Napier University.

So far I've had a great time...I really like the city; there's loads of historical buildings that give it a nice feel. Edinburgh Castle is overlooking the main shopping street which is nice. And just before I left they had a cool christmas market going on with loads of stalls and ice skating, very festive. To be honest, because im a mature student I havent been bar hopping as much as I would have a few years ago, but as far as I can see there's loads of stuff geared towards students. I live pretty near the city and its handy to walk most places or the buses are ok.

I suppose its like any city, there's good and bad. The good being a nice atmosphere and people, the bad being how cold and windy it gets. Because they speak english and the culture is pretty similar I don't feel like a foreigner really, sometimes I have to remind myself that im not at home.

A big thing for me was that SAAS paid my fees, because im an EU citizen. Also, the flights are only about 40 minutes and cheap.

Here's the website if you wanna have a look - www.saas.gov.uk

Its the Student Awards Agency for Scotland. The only thing I would look into is that you said you were born in England - they don't pay fees for English students...it's very weird, they will pay for Scottish, Irish and all other EU states but not English...but like you said if you can get dual citizenship or whatever that may be ok.

Advertisement