Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone experienced depression as a side affect of quitting?

Options
  • 09-09-2011 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hi all as the titles says I am wondering if anyone has experienced depression or severe mood changes as a side effect of quitting.My OH has given up 5 weeks ago and i am thrilled for him but it has become unbearable to be around him. I am trying to do what i can (honest) but his mood changes so fast it is hard to keep up. I love him to bits and he is never like this usually. Can someone please put my mind at rest and tell me that this will pass very soon or at least that it happened to someone here. If it didn't i will have to start worrying....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

He's experiencing the side effects of quitting a major addiction. Mood swings, sleep pattern changes, irritability, stress ... these are all part of quitting. He's going through a phase which will pass. It will also come back again and will pass again. Give it time and you'll both work through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭shhling

Thanks for the reply Orion. I know that everyone is different and would experience difference effects but roughly how long would one expect to be going through this for? 6 weeks 6 months a year???

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭BO-JANGLES

When I gave them up I was very down for about 10 weeks but trust me it does get easier. Many times I thought that I was destined to a lifetime of smoking and couldn't see my future without them but as time passed I felt less stressed and irritable. Now five years on I find them repulsive and ask why and how did I ever enjoy smoking.. Good Luck

Bo-Jangles

• Registered Users Posts: 28 annabellaxx

shhling wrote: »
    Hi all as the titles says I am wondering if anyone has experienced depression or severe mood changes as a side effect of quitting.My OH has given up 5 weeks ago and i am thrilled for him but it has become unbearable to be around him. I am trying to do what i can (honest) but his mood changes so fast it is hard to keep up. I love him to bits and he is never like this usually. Can someone please put my mind at rest and tell me that this will pass very soon or at least that it happened to someone here. If it didn't i will have to start worrying....

Absolutely. Quit 7 weeks ago. All was fine until about 4 weeks in. Very depressed since and still. And weepy. Was well warned by my brother that it would come but I blithely thought I'd escaped it when I was feeling great and not really suffering for the first few weeks. Am finding it very challenging and have been so tempted to try and 'fix' it with a cigarette...

So, bear with him. It's a common and well documented consequence of giving up. Google it - much has been written on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭k mac

I stopped smoking 5 days ago. To tell you my situation gave up smoking years ago for 5 years and went back on them again. My story since is i could smoke for a few months then quit for a few months . I gave up last sept and was off them till aout 3 months ago but have smoked fairly heavy since. What i wanted to ask is has anyone come out in a rash as a sideaffect since quitting, i have gave up regularly as stated above, but have noticed since i stopped on tuesday the following day i started getting little pains like i was being stung under my skin and have noticed a rash on my back, maybe it has nothing to do with it at all .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 alexcolin

After i give up smoking,the craving for tobacco is increased. I felt very difficult and uncomfortable for 2 to 3 weeks then later i felt comfortable. Suppose if i cross a place where i usually smoke,at that time the my mind likes to have a smoke.

Advertisement