Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trip around Ireland.

Options
  • 09-09-2011 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Planning a trip in two weeks time. Heading off on my own so got lots of time to see sights and take my time.

Starting in Dublin and heading to Wexford, Waterford(Tramore), cork(cobh), kilarney, adare, Galway city, Sligo, Donegal and then home.

Was going to stay off motorways etc.

Any roads/sights that are worth a spin to? Not the most experienced rider so will be taken it nice and easy.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,135 ✭✭✭prunudo

Only back from a little 3 day trip last week. Did a similar route to yourself. Favorite parts would be coast road from kinsale to clonakilty, beara peninsula and healy's pass. Road from glengarrif to kenmare and on into Killarney.

I then got the Tarbert ferry across the Shannon and went on up through through kilkee, lahinch and up through the Burren via ballyvaughen and the corkscrew bends.

One thing I found was that you get more local knowledge by staying in b&b's than staying in hotels. Have a great trip, it's well worth doing:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Cheers for that.

I've done kenmare to Killarney, some drive.

Still planning trip, the ferry seems like a cool idea.

I'm b&b'n it all the way. Any nice ones worthy a visit?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭uncle betty

Hi,

Planning a trip in two weeks time. Heading off on my own so got lots of time to see sights and take my time.

Starting in Dublin and heading to Wexford, Waterford(Tramore), cork(cobh), kilarney, adare, Galway city, Sligo, Donegal and then home.

Was going to stay off motorways etc.

Any roads/sights that are worth a spin to? Not the most experienced rider so will be taken it nice and easy.

Thanks in advance.

If I were heading for Wexford out of Dublin on a trip, I'd go to the Sally Gap, pass Lough Tay, then Roundwood, Laragh and onto Avoca.

There's some lovely road between Tramore and Dungarvan.

Killarney is grand, and I always prefer the Gap of Dungloe in a North to South kind of way.

Even better is Dingle. I'm usually travelling the opposite way to you, but I do think it's the way to go - Camp, Stradbally, through the Connor Pass, and on. Once you get to the top of the Pass, you're looking at the Atlantic. Head in to Dingle, but push on to Slea Head. Bloody fantastic !

Although the Tarbert to Foynes road is the bomb, rather than bothering with Adare, I'd cross into Clare on the ferry. Loop Head is pretty cool. As is/are The Bridges of Ross.

Can't go wrong on the Clare coast, all the way to Ballyvaughan.

Out of Galway I'd go Spiddal and then north to Maam Cross. Via Clifden, and a nice sunset at either Renvyle or Leenane.

Sorry I haven't made it to Cork, Sligo or Donegal yet !

I will edit this post later, hopefully tomorrow, with photographs I've taken along those roads. Might give you a bit of a taster.

Best of luck, ride safe, hope you get the weather :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

For the waterford stretch Id recommend getting the ferry from ballyhack, to passage east, from there Id head to tramore, and take the copper coast road all the way to dungarvan. Some very nice roads.

Google Maps will give you the route, just enter:
    Ballyhack,
    Tramore,
    &
    Dungarvan
    as your destinations

Cool. Goggle mapping all the suggestions so far. Never thought of ferries for some of the legs, sounds good. did not know about the ferry at tramore.

Not sure about the Sally gap..... I'll think hard about that one!

He cool to see some pics of that trip unclebetty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭yosemite_sam

Galway City and then Sligo, you are missing the best bit Mayo. Leave Galway and head for Louisburgh, passing Killary and onto Westport. Take in the Atlantic drive on Achill and then Belmullet. Leave Belmullet and head for Killala and Ballina, then do Sligo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Galway City and then Sligo, you are missing the best bit Mayo. Leave Galway and head for Louisburgh, passing Killary and onto Westport. Take in the Atlantic drive on Achill and then Belmullet. Leave Belmullet and head for Killala and Ballina, then do Sligo
    +1 on that. If only because the main Galway-Sligo road is a very boring stretch.

Wow, mad to think some of them sights are Ireland. I think the Sally gap is now on the trip :-)

Thanks for that. Gives me something to look forward too.

Oops... Must look at Mayo so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

jvan wrote: »
    Only back from a little 3 day trip last week. Did a similar route to yourself. Favorite parts would be coast road from kinsale to clonakilty, beara peninsula and healy's pass. Road from glengarrif to kenmare and on into Killarney.

I then got the Tarbert ferry across the Shannon and went on up through through kilkee, lahinch and up through the Burren via ballyvaughen and the corkscrew bends.

One thing I found was that you get more local knowledge by staying in b&b's than staying in hotels. Have a great trip, it's well worth doing:)
    I did a trip a couple of weeks ago and that was almost my exact route! glengarrif to kenmare is a great road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scudster

I've been hoping to do a trip like this for some time but never got around to it. This thread is making me more determined to do it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,135 ✭✭✭prunudo

scudster wrote: »
    I've been hoping to do a trip like this for some time but never got around to it. This thread is making me more determined to do it now.

I was the same as yourself. And now that I've done one I'm even more determined to do more trips to various places around Ireland.

Well, I'm starting the weekend after next. Got 1 more person on board for some of the trip. Come on.......

Well, I'm starting the weekend after next. Got 1 more person on board for some of the trip. Come on.......
    Nice one. Enjoy the trip.

How long are you planning on taking on it?

10 days. Bike is booked in for service next week and off I go :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scudster

Is this an invitation? :D

Only messin mate, hope ya have a great time and the weather holds for ya!
    I had a trip down to Fermoy from Longford on Saturday and then back on Sunday on the bike. It was a grand journey only for the feckin wind! Me poor auld restricted Bandit 6 did not like the wind. Itd knock 10-15mph off her at times! Chronic stuff.

10 days. Bike is booked in for service next week and off I go :-)
    Cool, sounds like you're all set so! Well if your stuck for somewhere to stay around the Sligo area we'll never turn a biker away :cool:

Enjoy man, can't wait 'til I find the funds/time to do something similar!

scudster wrote: »
    Is this an invitation? :D

Only messin mate, hope ya have a great time and the weather holds for ya!
    I had a trip down to Fermoy from Longford on Saturday and then back on Sunday on the bike. It was a grand journey only for the feckin wind! Me poor auld restricted Bandit 6 did not like the wind. Itd knock 10-15mph off her at times! Chronic stuff.

Sure if your around when I get near :-)
    AgileMyth wrote: »
    Cool, sounds like you're all set so! Well if your stuck for somewhere to stay around the Sligo area we'll never turn a biker away :cool:

Enjoy man, can't wait 'til I find the funds/time to do something similar!

May take u up on that.

I'm only booking b&b and will only book the day before.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 herrys

woooowww.....!!! very nice scenes . I love to visit Dublin you should be there at least once.

I will be sat, but Dublin is only the start :-) 1 day left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭uncle betty

I will be sat, but Dublin is only the start :-) 1 day left.

Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Maguirearch

Hello You were speaking to a friend of mine re music in Cavan I am actually in Ballinagh...are you interested in forming a band around here ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Killarney via Inch to Dingle, Slea Head drive. As you leave Dingle,take the Connor Pass road out to Tralee and on.

Well, can't get the photos loaded.

My trip was 100% great. Done on a hd softail. No luggage space on the bike so a small bag on my back and that's it, planned on being stinky by the time i finished. Small tool kit just incase. ATM/credit card. Heavy and light gloves. Trousers for night time and change of undies for a few days.

Idea was to be light with gear and enjoy the ride. Go where I wanted and have the freedom to change plans if the weather changed or I fancied going a different direction. 

Day 1:

Started from Cavan and headed to Dublin to get the bike serviced. After almost falling over at the price I was charged I was on the way. Heading from the m50 I went towards greystones and heading down the coast road r761 down onto the r750 into Wicklow, arklow. There back onto the motorway till Gorey. Was a great trip and the weather was great. My 1st night was to stay in Kilmuckridge. Nice little spot with a few good pubs for food. Got to stay in the parents mobile. Loud pipes in a mobile home don't mix well :-)

Day 2. 

Heading from there through blackwater onto Wexford town. Nice spin. I'm not one for twisty but defo built up my comfort level with them. Stopped into the riverbank for breakfast. The hotel is just before the bridge going into Wexford town.

From there I wanted to go towards ballyhack to get the ferry over to Tramore which was my next stay over. Was parked on Hill St in Wexford and got rear ended my a Glanza, managed to keep the bike right but at that stage the car had gone off through the red light. They left some nice White paint on my fender. Pissed off was not the word and no camera etc and no witnesses there was not much the Garda could do..... So planned on hitting Harley in Waterford to see how badly damaged my paint work had gotten.

Took the r733 and headed towards ballyhack, fab drive. Lots of interesting places to stop. Some ww2 sites to see, which I've not have noticed on the major roads. The drive to the ferry provided great views and down towards the ferry was a nice coast road.

The ferry itself is a 10min job and was fun. After the ferry I headed towards Dunmore East for lunch. Found a nice pub just at the beach. Very biker friendly and the little beach was a good chance to make sure my new boots are water proof, they were.

From there I headed to Tramore. Drive was ok, very mucky road from farming but made it. Tramore, well it's Tramore. Stayed that night in the other halfs parents mobile. Again loud pipes and these parks don't mix.

Some great pubs in Tramore and got to see a live band in the town centre.

Day 3:

The weather turned into the bloody mist. One thing I hate is mist. Drove to hd Waterford to get the fender checked. Turned out t coat took it all out so no damage done. Defo lifted my spirit. Nice bunch of lads there so hats off to them.

Stayed in Tramore hoping the weather would pick up.

Day 4:

Weather was the same :-( 

Decided to head to dungarvan on the r675. Wow, really liked this road. Dungarvan was grand, garage for breaky.

From there into yougal, midleton into cobh. Stopped to take pics if I found anything interesting. Decided to book into photo island hotel. Been there before so knew I wanted somewhere nice to stay. I had planned on b&b but had budgeted at least one nice hotel. So decided to take this night as the comfy night.

Did poto wildlife park. Got Interesting looks for someone in full leathers looking at monkeys... But was a laugh. Food in there is actually priced cheaply.

Day 5:

Skipped cork and headed towards kinsale. I liked kinsale and again found a nice place on the docks for breakfast. Left and went to clonakilty, skibbereen and into kenmare for lunch. 

At this stage I'd not planned places to stay so a bit of freedom was great. From kenmare I was wary about the ring of Kerry. I tried it in June but gave up but with the milage done so far I felt I could take it on so I did. What a trip. Met some racers who actually slowed down and stayed with me for a good length of it. Stopped in Waterville for food with the lads. From there the lads left me in a dust ball and I went as far as glenbeigh on the n70 about 30km from kilarney. Stayed in the liosderrig house b&b, easy parking and very friendly owners. Very nice breakfast.

Day 6:

Weather up the west coast was foggy raining and misty so I decided at this stage to head back in land. So I missed out on most of the sites mentioned in the tread. But the difference as I headed towards mallow was un real. Clear skies and much warmer. Decided on Kilkenny for the next sleep. Was a good drive but now I was feeling very confident on the bike and with the weather getting better it was a good spin. Hit mallow, fermoy, mitchelstown, tipp, clonal, callen onto Kilkenny. Never had a good look around this city. The castle was a great few hours and food in langtons was very welcomed. Used the iPhone and found a b&b for €30. Church view b&b in cuffesgrange was about 7km outside the city. Only guest and biker friendly. Rooms where nice and breakfast was ok. Got a good sleep.

Day 7

I made a choice to at least follow the weather which ruled out west side of Ireland. So I heading to Carlow for lunch. Here I looked over the tread and decided, ok the Sally gap. Got to try it and  no better time than now. Felt up to the challenge. From Carlow I went to tullow and then onto the n81 as far as Hollywood. What a fun road that was. Turned off onto the r756 and wanted to go towards glendalough for food. Stopped at some car park on the way in the middle of the mountains and met lots of bikers. Weather was misty but ok. Very warm. So onto the famous Sally gap I keep hearing about. What fun I had with that. Built it up to be a hard drive but took my time and the weather was amazing, really enjoyed it and is on my list to do again soon. Joined back up to the n81 and in to Dublin.

Stayed in a b&b in brittas, no name just a sign. Pm is you want the number but was ok. €40 Inc breakfast. 

Day 8: was tempted to go home after this but talked myself out of it. Headed up the coast road towards to carlingford. Not a bad spin but after the Sally gal it failed in comparison. Carlingford was nice, stayed in the beautify house €50. Nice owners, biker friendly and the breakfast was the best so far of any b&b.

Day 9: 

Ok, now what. Decided I've never really been to the giants causeway. Not really familiar with the north or the roads so stayed on the motorway and hit warren point, magheragh, Newcastle, ballynahinch around Belfast on to larne and then the a2 to the giants causeway. Loved the last part. Amazing veiws. Giants causeway was fab. What a place. Stay in a b&b in bushmills. The lismar b&b, again friendly and only £30.

Day 10:

Coming to the end of the hols so went to derry taken in as much of the coast road as I could. Again nice roads and great views. Went as far a letterkenny as I remember the roads and views being fun. They where. Stayed in the a random b&b on the n13. Cheap but breakfast was horrible. Forgot the name of the place.

Day 11: 

Time to head home. Went to Donegal and then back towards lough Erne into eniskillen and then home.

Over all it was a great trip. Stuck to my plan of limited motorways, b&bs booked at the last min and stop at local sights. Was great not to have to plan more than 24hrs ahead and suppose cause it's a trip in Ireland I felt comfy doing this.

Disappointed I never made the west coast but the freedom of not booking accommodation in advance I could change plans and follow the weather.

So, was this one of the worlds greatest motorcycle trip, kind of. 

Plus points. No chance of running out of fuel, friendly b&b even booked at the last min, met other bikers and made some great friends along the way.

Bad points, some roads can go from great to bad very quickly, Wexford scum in glanzas, weather can change very quickly. 

So, get out and give it a go. Thanks for all the advice and the plan is to go do the west coast next year.

Advertisement