Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My new Betta

Options
  • 09-09-2011 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

I got my Betta on Wednesday and he is a handsome chappy, even if I do say so myself. Here's Talyn:
    picture.php?albumid=1626&pictureid=10597

Sorry about the crappy picture, my camera's not great.

My only problem is that Bettas aren't very energetic, I suppose due to the weight of the fins, so he spends a lot of time chilling out on the bottom. Unfortunately this makes the tank look empty most of the time. I'm half considering a small school of tetras, but am worried about overstocking.

I'm amazed with how clever he is; it only took about 3 minutes for him to equate me dipping my finger in the tank with being fed and now he swims right to the top when he sees my finger. He also likes to hide the pleco's wafers in the substrate, pushing them under a rock, the little gurrier.

On the down side I haven't seen the pleco since I the betta moved in, he's not even been hiding under the thermometer like he used to :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭keithb93

He's a nice betta alright. A school of tetras would look nice but by right should have been introduced to the tank before the betta. I had a betta and 8 neons few a few months and the were fine. I then put in 2 more neons and both were eaten during the night, the betta died the next day :(
    How big is your tank?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

It's only 37L, so I have to be careful with what I put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭flas

put in 2 females, they look lovely even without the fins... im only saying this because i cant really picture how big 37l is so someone here would be better at telling you if it would be over crowded at that

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Lovely as that would be, I think it'd be carnage. The tank is tall rather than long, maybe about 18" in diameter. They'd have nowhere near enough room to give each other space.

I'm kind of glad I was given this tank as a gift. If I'd bought it for myself I'd be kicking myself now; it's nowhere near big enough for very much of interest. I should maybe have gone for half a dozen tetras instead, but I couldn't resist the betta.

He's settled in pretty nicely now. It's still hit-and-miss as to if he's about when you look up, but I've gotten to know where he likes to lie up so I can usually find him. He's discovered a little 'beach' where the driftwood comes out of the water and he likes to lie there, just under the surface and stick his head up occasionally.

Advertisement