Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indian Restaurant with Early Bird menu - Dublin City Centre?

Options
  • 09-09-2011 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭

Anyone know of or can recommend any Indian restaurants in Dublin City Centre that have decent Early Bird options for a Friday evening?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Diwali on George's Street do one. The food there is delicious too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,456 ✭✭✭Heroditas

The Curry Club and Jewel in the Crown (both on Sth William Street) do early bird menus on Friday IIRC.

Jewel in the Crown do the best dips!

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

Cafe India on Montague St has pretty good early birds and very nice food.

They had starter, main & a beer/wine for €15 when I was there last.

It used to be called Indian Ocean.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Weyhey

Thank you all so much, some great ideas there. I am meeting two friends who have never had Indian food before and are keen to try it but are on a very limited budget.

If it wasn't their first time I would take them to Dehli O'Deli Cafe as it's super cheap but as it is I think an early bird in a restaurant would be a better introduction to the delicious world of Indian food.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

+1 for Diwali, delicious!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

medina on mary street would be great for your purpose.
    most indian resturants in the city centre are pretty poor tbh, outside the city centre there are many good ones!
    -1 for Diwali sorry

We went to go to Shan on Crow Street but that was closed (I since heard it doesn't open until 7 p.m) so we went to the Long Hall pub for a drink and then Diwali as it was the nearest.

The food in Diwali was delicious, the atmosphere was lovely and the staff couldn't have been more helpful. We were very happy with it. It was also just after 7 when we arrived but they allowed us to order from the early bird menu anyway.

It was 16.99e for the early bird of a starter and a main with rice or plain naan and the early bird menu states 'fresh tea / coffee' but they charged me for the peppermint tea which I only realised as we left. This was the only disappointment as I was the only one having a hot drink.

Thanks to all for the recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭TTWNF

most indian resturants in the city centre are pretty poor tbh, outside the city centre there are many good ones!
    -1 for Diwali sorry

where else would you recommend outside the city centre Curry Addict? anywhere do a curry as nice as your Malaysian curry? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

None in Dublin 7:mad:

Dehli O'Deli Cafe where's that one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Hootanany wrote: »
    Dehli O'Deli Cafe where's that one

Moore Street

cosmic wrote: »
    Moore Street

Is that a buffet one

Service in Madina is appauling these days.
    Be ashamed to bring someone there.

Delhi O'Deli isn't the buffet. It is just along there though.
    It is vegetarian food only.

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Service in Madina is appauling these days.
    Be ashamed to bring someone there.

maybe its gone downhill. the service was never so good but the food is cheap and cheerfull and nice family style cooking.

TTWNF wrote: »
    where else would you recommend outside the city centre Curry Addict? anywhere do a curry as nice as your Malaysian curry? ;)

:) Rasam in glastule is probably the best
    Ananda in dundrum shopping center
    kinara in clontarf

all worth a visit :pac:

maybe its gone downhill. the service was never so good but the food is cheap and cheerfull and nice family style cooking.

It has, I've been going fairly regularly for years.
    Service has been unbearable the last few times.

Moonbaby wrote: »

It's seems more a cafe rather than a restaurant, very cheap, you can order off the menu (including Masala Dosa's) or have one of their daily fiver specials which is a plate of rice and any or all of their 4 daily curries.

What's a Dosa is it nice

Hootanany wrote: »
    What's a Dosa is it nice

its a very unusual food like nothing else really.

it looks like a very large stuffed pancake. it has an unusual texture and flavour. it usually has a vegetarian spiced stuffing and is very delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Lacplesis

Dheli O Dheli revamped their menu. I would not recommend the new addition, the "kebab". I had the aloo tikka kebab version and I rather would have had the 2euro cheaper standalone aloo tikka.
    Nonetheless this is the place to go for tasty, cheap and quick (!) veggie food. Their mixed-veg can be very good. Favorite: chole bathure.
    All in all highly recommended!

• Advertisement

Lacplesis wrote: »
    Dheli O Dheli revamped their menu. I would not recommend the new addition, the "kebab". I had the aloo tikka kebab version and I rather would have had the 2euro cheaper standalone aloo tikka.
    Nonetheless this is the place to go for tasty, cheap and quick (!) veggie food. Their mixed-veg can be very good. Favorite: chole bathure.
    All in all highly recommended!

Really Mr Delhi

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

There's a new place called Kashmir on Manor Street, anyone know if it's any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,980 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I have to say having ignored it for years I've been popping into Madina recently and loving it. The service I've found is neither great or terrible but the food is fantastic. Absolutely massive portions and it's really delicious.

I've sampled a few things over the last few months and this week I thought I'd try their cheapest offering which is the chicken biryani. At just €4.99 I didn't expect much but I was pleasantly blown away. It was amazingly tasty and the portion easily did two people. So it's a recommendation for Madina from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Not city centre but if you come out to Inchicore which isn't far at all then Rasa is great. A good ten minute walk from Black Horse Luas Stop

I think there used to be a Bombay Pantry there which shut down last year, not sure if the management is connected at all

But Rasa is quailty and they have an early bird menu

I have to say having ignored it for years I've been popping into Madina recently and loving it. The service I've found is neither great or terrible but the food is fantastic. Absolutely massive portions and it's really delicious.

I've sampled a few things over the last few months and this week I thought I'd try their cheapest offering which is the chicken biryani. At just €4.99 I didn't expect much but I was pleasantly blown away. It was amazingly tasty and the portion easily did two people. So it's a recommendation for Madina from me.

Tried Medina special the chicken was on the bone disapointend

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Lacplesis

Had the Medina Special as well recently. I found the chicken OK, nothing mindblowing though. Too expensive for what it was. And the service was ****e! Kind of rude staff

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭perfectisthe

There's a new place called Kashmir on Manor Street, anyone know if it's any good?

Where is it? I live just off Manor Street and haven't noticed it. Always happy to give a new Indian a try!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

Where is it? I live just off Manor Street and haven't noticed it. Always happy to give a new Indian a try!

As far as I know It used to be the Green Chilli on the corner of Prussia st and Manor st, Hootanany will be able to confirm.

Yup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭perfectisthe

Cheers. I wonder is it the same management as the Green Chilli? I have to say I was never a fan of that place, the food was far too oily.

Advertisement