Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

graduate certificate in Biomedical science

Options
  • 08-09-2011 11:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

Ive just been offered a place on the graduate certificate course in Biomedical science up in University of ulster, coleraine. I am just wondering if anyone knows if this is recognised down here in the republic to register/work as a biomedical scientist. I already have a degree in bioanalytical science and this certificate will top u my own degree to a level of Bsc Biomedical science

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 tupoftea

Hi Biomed,

Have no info for ya i'm afraid on accepatbility of the course.

Just wondering if you found out any info here, thinking of applying to do this course for Jan 2012.

Have you started? How do you find it?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

Hey!

I have just done this course and unless you have a recognised Biomed undergrad from a course in the republic, then it's not recognised.
    I'm not sure if the masters will upgrade your degree, I've never heard of it to be honest.

I don't have an undergrad in biomedical science, I did it as I was really interested in it but I plan to go on to research in a few years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jesbio

yes, you must have AMLS approval to become a biomedical scientist working in Ireland. please see this link, it may be of help to you as it outlines some requirements.....

http://www.amls.ie/membership

ps. coleraine is lovely, I just completed my MSc biomed up there

• Registered Users Posts: 2 macken7

tatabubbly wrote: »
    Hey!

I have just done this course and unless you have a recognised Biomed undergrad from a course in the republic, then it's not recognised.
    I'm not sure if the masters will upgrade your degree, I've never heard of it to be honest.

I don't have an undergrad in biomedical science, I did it as I was really interested in it but I plan to go on to research in a few years

Hi,
    I just graduated from a non-accredited Biomedical degree in the ROI. I did not realize it was not accredited until I started looking for jobs as a medical scientist in a hospital.
    I have since contacted the AMLS and they have outlined how I can become accredited. One route they mentioned was doing the Grad Cert from Coleraine and then 9mnths supervised clinical placement in a hospital in south.
    We seem to be getting different info. Did the AMLS tell you after you did the Grad Cert from Coleraine they would not recognize it?
    Strange =/

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Orlliee

macken7 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I just graduated from a non-accredited Biomedical degree in the ROI. I did not realize it was not accredited until I started looking for jobs as a medical scientist in a hospital.
    I have since contacted the AMLS and they have outlined how I can become accredited. One route they mentioned was doing the Grad Cert from Coleraine and then 9mnths supervised clinical placement in a hospital in south.
    We seem to be getting different info. Did the AMLS tell you after you did the Grad Cert from Coleraine they would not recognize it?
    Strange =/

I'm just wondering did you ever follow through with this? I'm thinking of starting the gradcert in Sept and sourcing my own portfolio I'm willing to move to the UK to do that if needed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement