Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Having a relationship while undergoing therapy

Options
  • 08-09-2011 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what is the general consensus of having a relationship while seeing a therapist, specifically a psychologist.
    I have told my psychologist that I am seeing someone and she didn't say that it was a problem, but I'm thinking maybe it would be less of a distraction, less complications. Or would it be seen as a good thing? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

Just wondering what is the general consensus of having a relationship while seeing a therapist, specifically a psychologist.
    I have told my psychologist that I am seeing someone and she didn't say that it was a problem, but I'm thinking maybe it would be less of a distraction, less complications. Or would it be seen as a good thing? :confused:

i have never seen a psychologist but i have seen a therapist and if you are set on doing some hard work on yourself, in my opinion, unless the relationship is like marriage to your soulmate of years and years difficulties will probably arrise

it sounds like you might kinda want to focus on yourself at the moment anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭TrollHammaren

Your psychologist knows better than anyone else. Why would it be an issue? Seeing a psychologist doesn't mean you have to put your life on hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Being in a relationship while in therapy is not a problem, at the end of the day being in therapy is a way of getting things back to whatever normal is. In some cases like a person in early recovery from addiction, some centers suggest not to get into new relationship for a certain amount of time, but only certain approaches to addiction suggest this; if the person is already in a relationship most of the time they would not suggest to end it.

Relationships are complex, so in one way if you are in one it will give you plenty to talk about, and will expose areas of your personality that you need to work on. However, at the end of the day, if you have questions about it, why not bring the issue to your next session. Your therapist will know you better than us here, hence they will be able to talk the issue through better with you.

Best of luck with your therapy.

Advertisement