Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Construction Project

Options
  • 05-09-2011 5:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi, I'm currently in 5Th year and have to get my leaving cert project for construction started as in ideas and what not. My plan is to make a piano/coffee table. I want it to be in a table with 3 legs Grand piano style where the top opens up but to reveal a chest or storage unit and when closed can be used as a coffee table, and then I also want to have a 61 key electric piano where the piano would normally go, 88 keys is too big as it would be around 5 foot and a nice size coffee table with a piano is gonna have to be 61 keys which is around 3.5 foot. Can someone please tell me if doing this is possible? I know that I can make a piano shaped table but is removing an electric piano and putting into this design a practical option ? Please help as I would really like do this concept.
    I will add sketches soon to give a better idea.
    Thanks,
    Adam Vaughan

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

iScruuuuge wrote: »
    Hi, I'm currently in 5Th year and have to get my leaving cert project for construction started as in ideas and what not. My plan is to make a piano/coffee table. I want it to be in a table with 3 legs Grand piano style where the top opens up but to reveal a chest or storage unit and when closed can be used as a coffee table, and then I also want to have a 61 key electric piano where the piano would normally go, 88 keys is too big as it would be around 5 foot and a nice size coffee table with a piano is gonna have to be 61 keys which is around 3.5 foot. Can someone please tell me if doing this is possible? I know that I can make a piano shaped table but is removing an electric piano and putting into this design a practical option ? Please help as I would really like do this concept.
    I will add sketches soon to give a better idea.
    Thanks,
    Adam Vaughan
    Sounds like a nice idea and one which will draw on nearly every aspect of wood working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 iScruuuuge

Thanks slowburner :) My teacher said that it is a good idea and that can go ahead with it :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Let us know how you get on - I'm sure there will be plenty of help here if you need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

Yup, sounds like a very good idea and its great to hear original ideas and creativity.

Now to play devils advocate. I am a construction studies teacher. This project is going to take an immense amount of time from your leaving cert. DO NOT let it impact on your theory of the subject or on your study time for other subjects too much.

Here is the exact breakdown of the marks for construction
    50% theory

25% practical exam

25% project - this breaks down further to 16% for folder/folio and ONLY 9% for what you actually make. Having three relevant experiments to either the curriculum or your project in the folio is worth half as much as what you make.
    Keep this in mind when choosing a project and please don't make the common mistake of putting all your resources into making a project.

If you want any help or additional advice (not trying to step on your teachers toes btw.) pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

I made a gaint Noahs Ark for my Leaving Cert Got a A+ for it.muppets-animal.jpgcoloringpages-noahs-ark-raining.gif
    Only thing is i never tested did it float also i could make the animals fit inside maybe a Gi Joe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dds

Dude! I would love to know how you got on with that. Did you sculpt the ark from one piece of wood or did you make it from many pieces? Photos? Can't wait!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 DJC Barry

Can anyone give me advice on leaving cert construction project .I'm making a guitar but find the folder work really difficult and not sure what to write.Have to hand it in next Friday .Guitar not finished yet.Does anyone have advice.Don't want to ask my teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 zebrano.96

delighted to see somebody highly motivated about his her project
    but a word of caution u can describe something quickly in words takes a lot longer to carry it out and finish to good standard.
    try kevin leys rule

k.i.s.s.:confused:

keep it simple squire:)

good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 DJC Barry

what are the experiments for leaving cert construction project and are they the same in every school?Can anyone give me tips for these experiments?:)

Advertisement