Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paramedic Info???

Options
  • 08-09-2011 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi,

I was accepted for training and hope to be qualified as an EMT by september.

I am volunteering within the Civil Defence and I should have my HGV licence in a few months.

I was wondering if there was anything else I could do that could possibly give me an edge when the hse are recruiting paramedics again.

Any Information would be appreciated,

Thanks in advance!

Rick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Janet1986

You need the C1 and D1 driving license.

Not sure if the HGV is a different license (if you done it with FAS it is)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 groundhurling

HGV=Heavy goods vehicle, right?

I'm 99% sure that's the C license so once you have that you have enough to apply anyway if the last campaign is anything to go by!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Why are you required to hold a C1 licence in order to be a paramedic I under stand having to hold a D1 licence for passenger transfer etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭touge_drift

Why are you required to hold a C1 licence in order to be a paramedic I under stand having to hold a D1 licence for passenger transfer etc.

the weight of the vehicles you'll be driving...

Ah ok so the standard ambulance weighs over 3500kgs have to say I never thought they would weigh that much,And who says you don't learn something new every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

Ah ok so the standard ambulance weighs over 3500kgs have to say I never thought they would weigh that much,And who says you don't learn something new every day.

Sure the lift/ramp alone is over 1,000kg.

So what would be the gross weight of an ambulance.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

So what would be the gross weight of an ambulance.

Depends on the model and chassis type. Most HSE ambos are between 4000kg and 5000kg (depending on make and body type). Van conversion bodies such as some of those used by the vols can be <3500kg.

Again I'm amassed at the weight of the ambulance I never thought that they would weigh more than 3500kgs and considered most of them to be a conversion of a box body transit/merc van,Are there body/coach builders here in Ireland that can build from the floor pan up or are they built in the UK/Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭stevie06

The tail-lift is what adds most of the extra weight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 mad1c

Again I'm amassed at the weight of the ambulance I never thought that they would weigh more than 3500kgs and considered most of them to be a conversion of a box body transit/merc van,Are there body/coach builders here in Ireland that can build from the floor pan up or are they built in the UK/Europe.
    Wilker in Clara or Primo in Ferbane would probably be the ones to carry out that sort of work..

Advertisement