Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

statute of limitations on reporting a cyber crime?

Options
  • 08-09-2011 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey guys,

Is there a limit to reporting a cyber crime in Ireland? Lets say you have the logs of a successful hack and resulting damage from slightly over 6 months ago. Is it too late to report it? Even just to have it on record.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

6 months probably isn't too long, I'd say it'd be a couple of years at least.
    I'd say it'd be worth reporting it anyway, the guards would know for certain anyway, and it'd be worth having on record just in case, you never know what else the guy (or girl) has done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

It depends on the circumstances. Unauthorised access (S.5 Criminal Justice Act 1991) is a summary offence so 6 months on it's too late to act on it.
    If there were any additions, changes or deletions made to data then S.2 Criminal Justice Act may apply. It's not too late to follow up on that one.
    S.9 Criminal Justice (Theft & Fraud Offences) Act 2001 may apply if there was any attempt to cause a loss or make a gain. This is an arrestable offence and it's not too late to follow up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I'd say go for it. While the penalties for cybercrime are quite stringent, it is very rare for a case to be brought against someone. Irish companies just seem unwilling to pursue hackers. Which is good news for the "keep off the grass types" who frequent this forum, but its different when its your own system or the system you are paid to protect. Plus it is sooooo easy to bounce an attack off different systems, and make it incredibly difficult to trace intrusions, anyone not employing basic proxying/tunneling etc deserves to be caught.

Advertisement