Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legality of using icons...

Options
  • 08-09-2011 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

I found some icons online that I would like to use for my site. They are icons designed for use with gnome and I think they fit well with my site.

It says the are released under the 'GNU/GPL license' so does that mean I am free to use them on my site? I presume it does but just want to be 100% sure.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

If they're GPL it does mean they're free. However, i'm unsure how the GPL applies to icons if they're integrated into the design of a site, rather than just in the content, that might require you to make the derived design GPL too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

p wrote: »
    If they're GPL it does mean they're free. However, i'm unsure how the GPL applies to icons if they're integrated into the design of a site, rather than just in the content, that might require you to make the derived design GPL too.

Yep, GPL gets very messy like that, a reason a lot of OSS folks stay away from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

If you can design your own or buy rights from original artist it solves the problem.

The artist may have given it to one person for free distribution but doesn't imply it can be used for another purpose.

Advertisement