Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2003 Standard Print Server with Windows 7

Options
  • 08-09-2011 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Our domain consists of a 2003 standard server with print services running.

I have recently added Windows 7 machines to the domain, and I am having trouble adding network printers.

Should the Windows 7 drivers be stored on the 2003 server in order to be distributed to the machines as they try to connect? Or should Windows Update kick in and try and find the driver?

I can browse for all my printers OK (they are all HP, but at the moment I am focusing my efforts on a p2055dn), but when I connect, it downloas files from the server, and then I get an error code ''Windows cannot connect to the printer'' - 00000xbcb.

The same thing happens when I try to connect to the printer through Network, same error.

I havent much experience joining Windows 7 to an existing domain (my first rollout), any advice would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

What i am advising you here...make sure that users has local admin rights as the driver needs to be installed on the local Win7 PC.

I normal do this one: i'm logging on each desktop as administrator and install the networked printer,on a local TCP/IP port,with the right drivers.Then,who ever uses the PC,has the printer in their own profile as a local printer !

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭joe2687

rolion wrote: »
    I normal do this one: i'm logging on each desktop as administrator and install the networked printer,on a local TCP/IP port,with the right drivers.Then,who ever uses the PC,has the printer in their own profile as a local printer !

Ok... Well I am logged on as administrator, so i should have the correct permissions to access the driver and install it.

As for locally installing on a TCP port, that OK for one machine, but I'm looking at 150+ over the next week, so I could do with automating it a bit. The XP machines are fine, simply browse the network, add, and print.

I didnt forsee so many problems with this...

sorry...then is is the correct driver !?
    is it 32b or 64b ? XP or W7 ?
    where do you download it from ? CD or www ?

try running the install from the CD or from the exe off the web site while logged as administrator !
    avoid drivers from CDs,always download it from www !

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭joe2687

I'm working on a x64 Windows 7 Pro machines, connecting to a x86 2003 Standard box.

Therein lies my original question: Should I have the Windows 7 x64 driver on my 2003 box, in order for the machine to connect to it, or should it connect via WinUpd?

As for the driver, I installed it on the Win7 machine, and tried to connect over the network, same issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭tech

i had this issue recently, your best bet if to use HP UIniversal Drivers, but recently they had all the drivers messed up on th website, I had a 2008 X64 and need a win XP for the P2055dn and for lvoe nor money non of the driver off the HP website would work. I luckly had and old universal driver for x86 and x64 and these worked ok

• Advertisement

At 150+ desktops i would like to think i am getting a dedicated Print Server.
    That will be a Server 2008 standard edition that will sort out my printing issues on x32 and on x64 client environment.

Makes sense !??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

You need the 64 bit drivers loaded. Add them by going into File - Server Properties on the printers window on the 2003 server. It can be awkward loading some 64 bit drivers as a lot of the 64 inf files have different names listed than the 32 bit inf drivers which causes the driver not to load. Easiest solution is to use the Universal Print Driver when you can or edit the inf files to match if you cant.

Advertisement