Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 card trick @ the Galway Races

Options
  • 08-09-2011 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

According to the Galway Advertiser today, there is a lad up in court for doing the 3 card trick at the races recently. The judge let him off with a slap on the wrist.

As a matter of interest, how does the 3 card trick work? Yes I know how it works, the picture card seems easy enough to keep track of, so where is the catch?

How do ya get fleeced?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭beeintheknow

I actually do fairly well at the 3 card trick, but then again I practise a lot. It is like anything- if you do your homework you will be rewarded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

scholar007 wrote: »

How do ya get fleeced?

Nobody gets fleeced
    I saw a lad win at it

Though the they knew each others names, hmm.......... ;)

But even if it was straight and no dodgy characters it's still a money maker

One in three chance you select the correct card
    But you get even money odds

So it's a fools game realy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I know a guy that made over a grand on it one time at a fair, but he got mugged later that night outside the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,249 ✭✭✭Juwwi

I was a young naive pup at the fairyhouse grand national about 15 years ago and was fleeced.:(

I had never seen the game before and me and my mate did'nt cop on that everytime someone won it was one of the guys mates that was winning.

So I gave my money and picked the card on the right and low and behold it was'nt the queen.

We figured out that when it was'nt one of his mates playing you had to pick the oposite card to the one you taught it was.

So my mate decided he was gona have a go to win my money back and guess what he lost aswell.

The two of us went home after the 2nd or 3rd race skint and had hardly backed a horse .:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Ah, the oul "where the lady" outside the Galway Races. I remember watching some young lad go up, bet €50 and win €50. 30 seconds later the Guards trotted out of the racecourse, the dealer scarpered into a near-by van, and the young lad who won the €50 grabbed the box and cards and ran into the van after him.

I'm absolutely sickened that the judge just slapped them on the wrist. This was a good chance to teach that shower of scum a meaningful lesson.

Anyway, obviously when your playing, whatever card you think it is, it isn't. That's the trick. But then it's one of the other 2, so at best you're 50/50. I'd actually love to see lad who's skilled at the game go and fleece them. Then again the 50's they're handing out are probably fake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

I know a guy that made over a grand on it one time at a fair, but he got mugged later that night outside the pub.

what did you spend the money on ? :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

what did you spend the money on ? :D

It wasnt me, but the guy spent the money on kebabs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Hmmm that sounds like someone I know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭AstonMartin

Fair play to the lad for showing a bit of initative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    I'm absolutely sickened that the judge just slapped them on the wrist. This was a good chance to teach that shower of scum a meaningful lesson.

Why on earth are they scum?? Do they force people to gamble? Is there a Queen there everytime? They announce their prices so anyone thats foolish enough to play so be it, personaly I think its the mugs that play that should be locked up, far to many fools in this country!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Why on earth are they scum?? Do they force people to gamble? Is there a Queen there everytime? They announce their prices so anyone thats foolish enough to play so be it, personaly I think its the mugs that play that should be locked up, far to many fools in this country!

Have you ever been to the Galway races? They are the same people that lodge in deserted fields all around the country, that sponge off benefits and are the kings of anti social behavior. The correct term is the travelling community but I can think of a few better terms.

As for your questions, yes I'm fairly sure that occasion there is no queen, it's pointed out how to in the second post. When they were trying to rope someone I know in, they let him win one. He said he was certain the 50 they handed him was fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Have you ever been to the Galway races? They are the same people that lodge in deserted fields all around the country, that sponge off benefits and are the kings of anti social behavior. The correct term is the travelling community but I can think of a few better terms.

As for your questions, yes I'm fairly sure that occasion there is no queen, it's pointed out how to in the second post. When they were trying to rope someone I know in, they let him win one. He said he was certain the 50 they handed him was fake.

Yes I am a reg at the Galway Races, what they do away from the three card trick and what their ethnic background are is totally irrelevant IMO, and again I reiterate my point that anyone foolish enough to partake in the game isnt intelligent enough to be let out in public with money.

Advertisement