Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resitting irish

Options
  • 08-09-2011 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hi

I have just undertaken the process of resitting my irish after five years! I done ordinary level and got b3. I have registered with kilroys and I also got some books from a friend. What I was wondering was how can I best prepare myself for the Irish oral as I understand this is now a bigger part of the curriculum than previous years. Should I get Irish grinds? What about irish conversation classes? CDs? Any help would be appreciated at all!I'm just mad to get started and get going!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

gaa247 wrote: »
    Hi

I have just undertaken the process of resitting my irish after five years! I done ordinary level and got b3. I have registered with kilroys and I also got some books from a friend. What I was wondering was how can I best prepare myself for the Irish oral as I understand this is now a bigger part of the curriculum than previous years. Should I get Irish grinds? What about irish conversation classes? CDs? Any help would be appreciated at all!I'm just mad to get started and get going!

I would suggest the best place to start for preparing for an Oral would be just find people who are interested in speaking in Irish and chat with them now and again as Gaeilge.

I have learnt more that way than I ever did in classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Hi

If there is a "ciorcal comhrá" in your neck of the woods, join it and get practice speaking the language. They tend to be held in libraries, so why not ask at your local library. That's what you really need to get up to speed for the oral.
    For the written, get Learning Irish by Mícheál Ó Siadhail, and work through it. Now's a good time to buy it - there is enough time between now and next summer to work through the book prior to the exam. If you do that conscientiously, you will have a good level of Irish when you sit the exam.
    Listen to the cds too - they are good practice and they follow the lessons as regards grammar and vocabulary. There are extra exercises available on the Internet, done by one Nancy Stenson, I'll see if I can dig up a link somewhere.

Hi, I found that link.
    Nancy Stenson's extra exercises for Mícheál Ó Siadhail's "Learning Irish" are available at:
    http://www.phouka.com/stenson/intro.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 gaa247

Thanks for that,very helpful. That learning Irish book looks really helpful and I would love to get that.Anyone know where I could get it online? I want to make sure I get the book with the audio cds!

Thanks for that,very helpful. That learning Irish book looks really helpful and I would love to get that.Anyone know where I could get it online? I want to make sure I get the book with the audio cds!

Try this link:
    http://www.cuplafocal.ie//catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=3186&osCsid=59184f9a9b1cfb8f9523dbf6d81b3893
    I'm sure there are other websites too - litriocht.com for instance.
    Go n-éirí leat!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭andyterryjay

I am doing LC this year first time round with Higher level Irish.

Best thing i did was go to the gaeltacht and get speakking the language with natives etc.

immerse yourself in it, watch TG4, listen to radio na gaeltachta.

and as for the written course just get an irish text book or something, whatever the lads above were saying.

actually i have started a Youtube channel where i do vlogs in irish aswell haha. check that out if you want, it's simple irish, with probably lots of mistakes, but it's something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9sNjkAAnBM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭andyterryjay

also, the oral has changed. there are extra parts to it in the following order and marking scheme

Introduction (5)
    Reading a poem (35)
    Picture Sequences (80)
    Conversation (120)

The reading of poetry is from any of the 5 Seen Poems you study for the exam -

geibheann
    an spailpin fanach
    an tearreach thiar
    colscaradh
    mo ghra sa

Then the Picture sequences are new and worth a lot of marks.

There are 20 different series' of pictures. Each containing 6 Pictures.
    In the oral exam you have to basically describe everything that's happening in the pictures, and also then ask the examiner questions about what is happening in the pictures. (to see if you can ask questions i guess)

hope that helps.

Advertisement