Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it easy to get a job as a care assistant?

Options
  • 08-09-2011 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi,

I know it is possible to get a job as a care assistant in Ireland without any qualifications. e.g. learn on the job. I'm hoping to go to college in London next yr to study to be a nurse, but I need 4 months work experince as a care assistant before hand.

I had planned to travel to Oz and stay there til I was going to start my course, but I need to get the experience. Basically I'm trying to kill two birds with one stone.

I've tried to find out if it's possible to work as a care assistant in Oz without a qualification, but haven't been able to find the information. I wouldn't mind doing a part time course while working as a care assitant if it was required, but want to know if it is possible.

Hoping someone can help me out!
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 pjd435

susieq124 wrote: »
    Hi,

I know it is possible to get a job as a care assistant in Ireland without any qualifications. e.g. learn on the job. I'm hoping to go to college in London next yr to study to be a nurse, but I need 4 months work experince as a care assistant before hand.

I had planned to travel to Oz and stay there til I was going to start my course, but I need to get the experience. Basically I'm trying to kill two birds with one stone.

I've tried to find out if it's possible to work as a care assistant in Oz without a qualification, but haven't been able to find the information. I wouldn't mind doing a part time course while working as a care assitant if it was required, but want to know if it is possible.

Hoping someone can help me out!
    Thanks

Hi

My girlfriend worked as a care assistant in Sydney in 2003 without any qualifications and she is back working in ireland and still has no quailifications. Before she went to Oz in 2003 she worked in old folks home at the weekends for the previous 4 years while she was in college doing business. I think now in ireland you need a minimum of a fetac level 5 before you can become a care assistant. Id say it could be the same in Oz. So If I was you Id look into getting the fetac level 5 before you go.

Regards

Advertisement