Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fetac Level 5 to I.T.

Options
  • 08-09-2011 2:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, this is a bit forward planning of me i know, but i'm undertaking a fetac level 5 full time day course this year in computer aided design. basically next year i wish to go on to an I.T. and go for a higer fetac award.

i completed my leaving cert. in 2008 and did, to put it bluntly, badly. i never even totted it up, but i achieved circa 100 points i'd imagine. now i've seen the error of my ways i want to work my way back up to a decent qualification.

anyway, i fear (to an extent) time is against me as i'm 21 now and i'd really like to know will my fetac level 5 be enough to get me to an I.T. next year or how exactly would i otherwise go about doing so.

i have a course and location in mind if that would help.

thanks in advance, Andy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Dont worry about it man. Im 28, never had the leaving and am doing a fetac level 5-6 course from home.
    You will be grand. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Sean_Paul

It depends on what FETEC course your doing. For example, to study Journalism colleges would require a FETAC in Media or Applied language if you want to study a language.

to be always on the safe side your best off ringing the admissions tutor and getting the information from the horses mouth so to speak

As for being 21 I wouldn't worry. I'm hoping to do a FETAC this year and go to Maynooth next year and I'm 25, so your never too old. In fact they value people who have had a little time to mature and become independent

Just make sure you work at the FETAC and get distinctions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

There are two ways of using your FETAC Level 5 award to get into college. The first way is using the Higher Education Links Scheme, where places are reserved on certain courses for FETAC students with relevant FETAC awards e.g. 2 places may be kept on a Nursing Degree course for students who have a Nursing Studies award.

The other way is by using your FETAC module results as points and applying for courses in ITs that operate the Pilot Scheme.

There is more information on both of those schemes here.

My advice is to research the entry requirements of the course you are interested in and check if the IT operates the Pilot Scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Further Ed.

Be very careful.

With the changes to FETAC courses and the development of new programmes under the Common Awards System there are major changes coming down the line on the progression routes. It is important that you contact the Admissions Office of where you want to study for a degree and clarify what they are seeking, ask the PLC College/FE centre that you are attending to give you a detailed document with theaward code and the module codes on it. Don't make any assumptions that what was used by your centre last year is still the same. Get it in writing from the PLC college.

Advertisement