Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Value of geothermal house heating

Options
  • 08-09-2011 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    any recommendations welcome.
    Just deciding on heating for my house im building next year.....have already decided to go for solar panels and I had decided togo with geothermal as well. Problem is a lot of people are telling me that they are problematic in terms of maintenance especially the subterranean pipes and secondly that the outlay outweighs the benefits??
    these two questions and any other suggestions on what could be done to heat my two storet 2550 sq feet house. Really trying to keep burning of oil coal gas etc down to minimum
    thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭heinbloed

A heating engineer would be the right person to ask.
    The demand decides on the investment. Get a demand calculation done according to EN and from there you can see what the best option would be.
    Without knowing what is needed no one can give you a reliable answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭about2build

hi Heinbloed and thanks,
    I'll track down a heat engineer to establish demand etc. Have you heard anything about the system from people who are using it? I've heard it said that it breaks down and has to be dug up and that the outlay is not worth the saving...have you any info on this?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

They are reliable systems as long as they are installed correctly and to a good standard . Alot of the problem systems happened with fellas giving it a go .
    If you pick this route in the end , go with someone established in this area and who can give you refrences to similar jobs he has carried out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Con100

Avoid geothermal like the plague i should know, I'm just about ready to rip mine out and put in an oil boiler........... Disaster !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭stef22

Con100 wrote: »
    Avoid geothermal like the plague i should know, I'm just about ready to rip mine out and put in an oil boiler........... Disaster !!!!!

i know this is an old thread but i am also on close to throwinG my SOFATH heat pump to the bin
    it was installed in 2005 and we are having problems after problems.

nobody seems to know how to fix them as well .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Con100

stef22 wrote: »
    i know this is an old thread but i am also on close to throwinG my SOFATH heat pump to the bin
    it was installed in 2005 and we are having problems after problems.

nobody seems to know how to fix them as well .....

Well 4 years on and i'm delighted i bit the bullet and got rid of that thing. I now have a boiler stove and an oil burner and it heats the house in places the heat pump never reached. Seems the tried and tested system works best !!

Advertisement