Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worried about baby swallows in the shed

Options
  • 07-09-2011 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I've posted in animal and pets and a poster recommended that I might get some help here. Basically I've a nest of 5 swallows in the shed about 4 weeks hatched at the moment but the poor chicks are screaming at the moment. The parents are still feeding but the last lot didn't sound as loud as this flock. I was just wondering should I step in and try to feed them and If I do, what should I give them? Will this cause the parents to reject them? Or do I wait until the parents desert them? And is there a chance that they might die if I wait.

I'll be honest, I am at my wits end at the moment. They're such lovely little things, I really don't want anything to happen to them. Thanks lads.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Callous as it may sound you're best letting nature take its course. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Eyespy

Thanks Judgement Day, I've kind of got a feeling that's the way it's going at the moment. They've gone from crying loudly to just crying piteously everytime I go into the shed. As I said on the other thread in A&P, I've even started to open the shed just before it gets bright in the morning so the parents can have that little bit longer to feed them. But I just don't think the insects are there. We've a laurel in the front that had a wasps nest inside while the first flock was in the shed and the parents were constantly divebombing it. But it seems to be gone now as I've not seen a wasp in about 3 weeks and no midges as much as I whinge about them either. Hopefully they'll make it. But is the general consensus that I should leave well enough alone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I'll develop JD's point about letting nature taking its course.

Many species will have 2-3 broods a year, Swallows included. But the vast majority of chicks/fledglings will not survive the first year. If they did, bird numbers would increase substantially. The reality is at most an average of one chick a year would have a long life.

By having a number of broods, not all eggs are in same basket and the chances of at least one of the broods coinciding with good weather is increased. In some years this may be the last brood. Not looking like the case this year, but in other years we can get summer weather till end of September.

If the feed for chicks is limited then the strongest chicks will last longest with the weakest dying first and being removed from nest and perhaps just one or 2 (if any) making it to fledgling stage.

I understand you came here looking for info in how you can help. I can't offer any beyond what you are doing. I certainly would not consider trying to do more myself, but I acknowledge that's it's human nature to try to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Yes, just leave them. The noise from the chicks is no indication of anything. Late clutches often survive to some extent and this is Nature after all.

Mothman wrote: »
    I'll develop JD's point about letting nature taking its course.

Many species will have 2-3 broods a year, Swallows included. But the vast majority of chicks/fledglings will not survive the first year. If they did, bird numbers would increase substantially. The reality is at most an average of one chick a year would have a long life.

By having a number of broods, not all eggs are in same basket and the chances of at least one of the broods coinciding with good weather is increased. In some years this may be the last brood. Not looking like the case this year, but in other years we can get summer weather till end of September.

If the feed for chicks is limited then the strongest chicks will last longest with the weakest dying first and being removed from nest and perhaps just one or 2 (if any) making it to fledgling stage.

I understand you came here looking for info in how you can help. I can't offer any beyond what you are doing. I certainly would not consider trying to do more myself, but I acknowledge that's it's human nature to try to.

Cheers Mothman,

Now that you mention it, she does seem to be feeding the same 3 chicks anytime I'm out there. I'm not in the shed all day but am in and out sorting out the hens food and the like. Fingers crossed that some of them will make it. Thanks for all the help lads because I think that I might have eventually tried to feed them and maybe done more harm than good by driving the parents away or choking the chicks inadvertently. I really appreciate it :).

• Advertisement

Yes, just leave them. The noise from the chicks is no indication of anything. Late clutches often survive to some extent and this is Nature after all.

Cheers Jenna Modern Photographer, your last comment gave me a little more hope :). Hopefully I'll have some good news for you about the chicks in a couple of weeks.

Hi everyone,

just a quick update, turns out there was 6 chicks not 5. They abandoned the nest about 4 weeks ago and started to perch on the numerous electric wires in the shed when they'd fly in after a days feeding. We had the parents and one chick up until last Wednesday, the others left the shed the week before but continued to fly around the shed in the daytime. Looked like they were trying to entice the chick to go. But anyway, all gone now for another year :)

Thanks everyone for your advice.
    Eye

Advertisement