Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for best Credit Card & Lazer Cards for using overseas especially in NZ$ & GB£

Options
  • 07-09-2011 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

My present bank adds a 1.75% Currency conversion Fee on the Euro Value of purchases made in non-euro currencies.

Also when using my present current account lazer card outside the Euro-zone I am charged:
    • 1.75% of the euro value of the transaction (min €0.46 max €11.43).
    • 3.5% of the euro value (min €3.17 – max €11.43) for ATM withdrawals.
    Does anyone know of Credit Cards with lower or nil transaction fees on purchases made either in NZ$ or in GB£ ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

kiwipower wrote: »
    My present bank adds a 1.75% Currency conversion Fee on the Euro Value of purchases made in non-euro currencies.

Also when using my present current account lazer card outside the Euro-zone I am charged:
    • 1.75% of the euro value of the transaction (min €0.46 max €11.43).
    • 3.5% of the euro value (min €3.17 – max €11.43) for ATM withdrawals.
    Does anyone know of Credit Cards with lower or nil transaction fees on purchases made either in NZ$ or in GB£ ?

Nationwide UK is the only one I know of which does not do this...

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Thanks Gerard,
    Will look into them! :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You would need to be a UK resident to obtain an account with them. Even at that, I believe they no longer are fee-free in the way they used to be and have introduced strings - you have to spend so much in sterling and you "earn" fee free foreign purchases.

Most cards will have a charging structure similar to what's on your own way - after all it's a major part of how the issuers make a profit on cards. Your quest for fee-free ones will be quite a tough one unfortunately. If they don't, they'll find some other way to manage it (see Nationwide's alternative for example).

Advertisement