Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel Insurance to cover cancellation due to extreme Ill health of mother in law

Options
  • 07-09-2011 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am in a little bit of a jamb. I need to go to NZ for 8 weeks next January. I have had to book my flight this week before they get to expensive. I am know trying to arrange travel insurance with specific extras.

My Partners mother is presently finishing Chemo for Cancer. I have no reason to believe she will become more unwell, or that this will affect my travel plans, as I would not be one of her care providers.

In the unfortunate (and at this stage unlikely) circumstance that she should become extremely ill, or should pass away, I need travel insurance that would cover me if I need to cancel my trip or to return early.

Would anyone know of insurers willing to provide this cover, when declared? Even at extra cost?

I know there are posters who will say that this is something I know about so it would not be covered. My answer to that is I know that she is coming to the end of treatment. I know the condition she is presently in will not stop me traveling, I do not know if she will get worse/better/or stay the same. I just want to insure against the possibility of change over the next months before I travel, and over the months I am away.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Its possible that a multi-trip or annual policy would cover you - have you looked into this?

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Thanks Homer,
    I have tried a couple. Due to the length I'm away I will need annual cover. I took out cover with USIT when I booked the flights than rang to check about the MIL situation and was told it wouldn't be covered. So tried QuickCover.ie They also said they would not cover it.
    Its a bit of a catch 22 issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

What is the prognosis? If medical opinion is that she will survive, then you may be able to get cover, but if prognosis is that she will die or get so ill that you will have to return, then you won't.

You would have to have some medical evidence that an insurer would accept.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Cheers for that Ravima,
    I have no reason at this stage to believe her prognosis is bad.
    I will try asking a few insurance companys what there take is on this.

Advertisement