Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wisdom teeth - numb mouth fear (more like terror).

Options
  • 07-09-2011 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

I have a bit of a weird phobia about my tongue and four wisdom teeth are due to come out on Sat with sedation.

Anyone tell me how it felt to have your whole mouth numb, I know that sounds like a silly question but really was it not awful I'm all freaked out that I will swallow my tongue or start having a panic attack when I come round from the sedation, very worried about panic attack as I hate them don't know if I can cope with it.
    How long did it take to wear off?

Reading about the possible nerve damage from wisdom teeth extraction did not help me either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭araic88

swanangel wrote: »
    I have a bit of a weird phobia about my tongue and four wisdom teeth are due to come out on Sat with sedation.

Anyone tell me how it felt to have your whole mouth numb, I know that sounds like a silly question but really was it not awful I'm all freaked out that I will swallow my tongue or start having a panic attack when I come round from the sedation, very worried about panic attack as I hate them don't know if I can cope with it.
    How long did it take to wear off?

Reading about the possible nerve damage from wisdom teeth extraction did not help me either.

I had three wisdom teeth out under general anaesthetic yesterday and the surgeon explained my mouth would be quite numb as she'd use local anaesthetic on the area too. Honestly, it was absolutely fine though, both sides of my mouth were numb but my tongue wasn't and within a few hours they gave me jelly and icecream which I could taste fine (it was lovely :D ) I kept dribbling lol and getting food on my chin / tshirt last night & it felt weird trying to clean the side of my chin as it was so numb but this morning it felt fine and it was much easier to clean myself up :)
    Honestly, don't worry about it, coming around from sedation / anaesthetic is just the same as waking up, it's not frightening or anything. And the numbness feels a bit strange but not at all unpleasant.
    I found the experience MUCH better than people had let me expect!

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

Had four wisdom teeth removed under GA on tuesday, as araic88 said I didn't have any issues with my tongue and the jelly/icecream afterwards was the best. The staff were great as I was coming out of it, was a bit anxious so my blood pressure was sky high (Got a free blood pressure check the next day in a chemist and it was perfectly normal). They have to explain all the risks to any patient but i would try to focus on the worse cases too much and visualise a successful outcome.

Had some bleeding the first night but that's settled down now. I think I was still running an adrenaline on Wednesday since i seemed ok but i woke on thursday morning after a good sleep to feel like i'd done ten rounds in the ring. I guess the swelling around the two lower teeth took a while to kick in and out. Got tylex and ibupforen for the pain and am just balancing the two out now.

Advertisement