Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeat Results?????

Options
  • 07-09-2011 3:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Does anybody know when the repeat results will be out?

And if I fail 1 of the repeats can I still get into 2nd year?

If I do get into second year and can carry 1 subject over will I still be able to get my Grant?

I've been stressing over this for the whole summer :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 DkIT_Computing

Hi emmbay. I can answer most of your questions, though unfortunately the repeat results release date still hasn't been set (as far as I'm aware) so I can't do that one.

Firstly, yes, even if you fail one of the repeats (and therefore have only failed one exam out of your current 12 subjects) you can continue into the next year. This is called Approved to Progress (AP) and means that you'll take the exam in that subject at the original time next year (i.e. if it was a first semester module, you'll take it in January and if it was a second semester module, you'll take it in May). Any CA aspect will need to be sorted out with the lecturer in question, so if you do end up as AP, be sure to contact them immediately so that you can find out if they'll allow you to submit CA as the year progresses or if you'll have to do a single piece for the end of the semester.

Second, as you aren't repeating a year in this situation(you're just taking an extra subjects), there should be no issue with the grant (you're still registered as a student in the following year, so they shouldn't see any difference).

As soon as the repeat results date is released, I'll be posting it up here, so check back for more information on that. Good luck with your results!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭emmbay

Hi emmbay. I can answer most of your questions, though unfortunately the repeat results release date still hasn't been set (as far as I'm aware) so I can't do that one.

Firstly, yes, even if you fail one of the repeats (and therefore have only failed one exam out of your current 12 subjects) you can continue into the next year. This is called Approved to Progress (AP) and means that you'll take the exam in that subject at the original time next year (i.e. if it was a first semester module, you'll take it in January and if it was a second semester module, you'll take it in May). Any CA aspect will need to be sorted out with the lecturer in question, so if you do end up as AP, be sure to contact them immediately so that you can find out if they'll allow you to submit CA as the year progresses or if you'll have to do a single piece for the end of the semester.

Second, as you aren't repeating a year in this situation(you're just taking an extra subjects), there should be no issue with the grant (you're still registered as a student in the following year, so they shouldn't see any difference).

As soon as the repeat results date is released, I'll be posting it up here, so check back for more information on that. Good luck with your results!

Ok thanks.. Just another question, if you fail more than one subject you can't get into second year is that right?

That's right. Approved to Progress only covers you for one subject, so if you fail more than one, you have to repeat and pass those before you can progress on to the next college year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Would there not be a chance of complimentary pass combined with carrying a subject into second year to let you get away with two subjects? Or can it only be one or the other?

Here is a link to dates of when Autumn 2011 repeat results will be available for each Department.

http://ww2.dkit.ie/student_life/examinations/examination_results

• Advertisement

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Would there not be a chance of complimentary pass combined with carrying a subject into second year to let you get away with two subjects? Or can it only be one or the other?

Whats a Complimentary pass?:confused:

It's where (I think) you get over thirty percent in a failed subject and over either 50 or 60% in a passed subject, and they take the marks off the bigger one to take you to a pass on the other one. I got one of them this year in Biology, but it was the only fail so I dont know if theyd give you a complimentary pass and let you carry a subject too... Emmbay, are you on the Applied Biosicence course? :P

It's where (I think) you get over thirty percent in a failed subject and over either 50 or 60% in a passed subject, and they take the marks off the bigger one to take you to a pass on the other one. I got one of them this year in Biology, but it was the only fail so I dont know if theyd give you a complimentary pass and let you carry a subject too... Emmbay, are you on the Applied Biosicence course? :P

Oh yeah I know what your talking about... Yeah i'm on the Applied Bioscience Course

I think you mean pass by compensation, which cannot be used with approved to progress.

Pass by compensation is only ever allowed when you get between 35% and 39% in at most two subjects in a semester (this may vary from department to department, but I've never seen it done with less than 35%), and you've gotten at least 40% in at least four in that semester. Also, you can't get a pass by compensation in the repeats unless you're re-taking all six subjects in that semester.

For example, if someone got 60, 60, 50, 40, 35 and 70 in the first semester exams, they could pass by compensation on the 35. However, if they got 60, 60, 50, 40, 35 and 30, they would fail both the 35 and 30 and would have to repeat in August. Similarly, if they got 60, 60, 50, 37, 35 and 36, they would have to repeat the 37, 35 and 36 as they didn't pass at least four of the subjects (you can only ever pass by compensation on two subjects in a semester).

What does Exceptions Granted mean?

• Advertisement

If you see exemptions granted beside a subject, it means that you've passed it and don't have to sit it again (you've earned your credits and you're exempt from repeating it). It's usually seen where a student has failed at least one, but passed others, so the system knows which you don't have to repeat.

the 3 exams I got less than 40% in said Fail beside them but the overall result was exceptions granted? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

That just shows that you didn't get a clear pass or a clear fail (where you failed everything), but instead got a mix. Does that help at all?

That just shows that you didn't get a clear pass or a clear fail (where you failed everything), but instead got a mix. Does that help at all?

Yeah Grand thanks

Ok so I got my repeat results and failed 1 subject.. I got 52.5 credits out of a total of 60 so am I able to start back college and carry the failed subject over to next year?
    My Academic Standing says Exceptions Granted not Approved to Progress, what does this mean??

• Registered Users Posts: 18 sharona1980

emmbay wrote: »
    Ok so I got my repeat results and failed 1 subject.. I got 52.5 credits out of a total of 60 so am I able to start back college and carry the failed subject over to next year?
    My Academic Standing says Exceptions Granted not Approved to Progress, what does this mean??

Hi Emmbay,
    I've personally never had to repeat any exams, but I always make myself aware of the meaning of the results (incase I ever do fail something).

http://ww2.dkit.ie/student_life/examinations/further_information/meaning_of_overall_results

The address above is a link to the "Meaning of Overall Results" by DkIT. I hope this helps.

If it doesn't help, maybe you should e-mail your lecturer and ask him/her what he/she thinks of the situation. Or better still, contact the examinations office.The contact number is on the site.

Sorry if I can not be of more help.:rolleyes:

Emmbay, unfortunately you usually need 55 credits to earn approved to progress status, so if you only have 52.5, that could be what's gone wrong. Did you have a module worth 7.5 credits, or perhaps two modules with that value overall? You should have heard about consultation in your department, make sure to go along to that and check out the situation there. If you haven't gotten the details yet, they're available here

Emmbay, unfortunately you usually need 55 credits to earn approved to progress status, so if you only have 52.5, that could be what's gone wrong. Did you have a module worth 7.5 credits, or perhaps two modules with that value overall? You should have heard about consultation in your department, make sure to go along to that and check out the situation there. If you haven't gotten the details yet, they're available here

Yeah I read that it was 55 credits you needed, but the subject I failed is worth 7.5 credits, would they have way they would just let me Progress and repeat it next year? I am going to go to the Consultation during the week to see what they say about it.. They should give credits for practicals and CA cos I did pass them like just failed the repeat exam..

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭timex711

ok , what happens if you have just passed 1 subject for the whole year, what would be my options?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

timex711 wrote: »
    ok , what happens if you have just passed 1 subject for the whole year, what would be my options?

As far as I know, you would either have to repeat the year or not attend and repeat the exams you failed at christmas and summer.

If I was in that position, I would probably repeat the year.

• Advertisement

thanks, but i hav a feeling its gonna cost me an arm and a leg to do so :(

thanks, but i hav a feeling its gonna cost me an arm and a leg to do so :(

Yes it will cost you. €1000 for each semester and then another €125 for each module you are repeating. Well thats what it is for my course. And if you got a grant for first year already you won't get it again. So that means you will have to pay all your travel expenses or rent out of your own pocket. It sucks big time:mad:

can you not just repeat without attending??

maybe ill just leave it until next september and pay the extra 954E tuition fees for a level 7.

if i apply for a level 7 next september will it cost me a total of 2954E??

Not allowed to externally repeat a science subject, as you cannot sit any of the labs (against the law) so you'll just end up failing all your subjects again.

Not allowed to externally repeat a science subject, as you cannot sit any of the labs (against the law) so you'll just end up failing all your subjects again.

How do you even know they wer on a Science course??
    and you can repeat it if you have passed your practicals anyway

can you not just repeat without attending??

maybe ill just leave it until next september and pay the extra 954E tuition fees for a level 7.

if i apply for a level 7 next september will it cost me a total of 2954E??

Why didn't you attend your consultation?
    Yes you can repeat without attending but if some of your modules are CA or practical I don't think it would be a good idea to repeat without attending.

And you will probably have to pay more if you apply for a level 7 next September, you will have to pay the registration fee and part of the fees that are paid by the government, you have to pay this if you are starting first year on another course because you have already done first year in another course, but then in second year of a different course you wouldn't have to pay the government fees. It would probably be about €4000+.
    If you repeat first year of the course you wer on this year it will probably be only €2954

emmbay wrote: »
    How do you even know they wer on a Science course??
    and you can repeat it if you have passed your practicals anyway

I meant in answer to the question someone asked you, since we were on the same course :P

Advertisement