Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I get started?

Options
  • 07-09-2011 2:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi folks,

Last week, I decided that enough was enough and I had to stop smoking. After advice from the pharmacist, I got the niquitin mini lozenge things and that lasted less than a day - I just hate the horrible burning taste they leave! So I went into the other pharmacy and bought the Jasper and Jasper starter kit (the only one they had) which I find quite good...haven't had a cig since...but the battery life is shockingly bad. It's been charged three times today, it loses power after a few drags, and after finding this forum I've decided to upgrade to a better e-cigarette.

I'm thinking about getting one of the Joye starter kits, but I'm confused about differences between the eGo, eGo T, and the eGo T XL (bigger = better?). And then there's all the other things to buy, like what cartridges, atomizers, cartomizers, etc. I would need. :confused:

Any advice on what I need to get me up and running would be so much appreciated, both by me and the mammy (I've convinced her to give it a go too...yay me!).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,031 ✭✭✭✭Esel

This is a good deal from IrishVapers imo, and postage is included (very prompt delivery too). The batteries are very high capacity (1300mAh) - you should easily get a day from one. In theory, you and your mother could share one each! You only get one cone though (this covers the atomiser, mainly for cosmetic reasons), but it works fine without it.

It is an eGo, and only available in stainless steel - probably for the best, as I have found the paint peeling from my black 650mAh batteries (due to contact with coins etc. in pockets). I'll be stripping them down to stainless soon....

Try some Green Witch Menthol juice to start. There are other flavours too. You can select flavour, strength, size and liquid base from the drop-downs. Personally, I am allergic to PG base, and like the Green Witch because it can be bought with VG base too. If you buy a tobacco flavour and find out you don't like the taste, you can mix it with the menthol which normally makes a big improvement to the taste!

5-pack cartomisers (haven't used these myself). Or try a couple of these dual-coil ones (again, no personal experience).

Edit: I'm sure you will get a few other recommendations, and there is a lot of info in the forum if you do a search.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 21 finnvalley

Thanks a million for that, Esel. All advice is welcome, especially from folk who know what they're talking about (eg: not the pharmacist...she just told me e-cigs were bad and to use the lozenges!).

I've been reading away through the forums and all the info confused me even more! Really like the sound of the eGo range, they sound the business, and as long as they're easy to refill and have good battery life, I'll be happy.

Definitely looking for menthol e-liquid, been smoking Consulate for the last few years in an attempt to wean myself off what I call 'real cigs', and now I don't like the taste of a non-menthol! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ktala

finnvalley wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Last week, I decided that enough was enough and I had to stop smoking. After advice from the pharmacist, I got the niquitin mini lozenge things and that lasted less than a day - I just hate the horrible burning taste they leave! So I went into the other pharmacy and bought the Jasper and Jasper starter kit (the only one they had) which I find quite good...haven't had a cig since...but the battery life is shockingly bad. It's been charged three times today, it loses power after a few drags, and after finding this forum I've decided to upgrade to a better e-cigarette.

I'm thinking about getting one of the Joye starter kits, but I'm confused about differences between the eGo, eGo T, and the eGo T XL (bigger = better?). And then there's all the other things to buy, like what cartridges, atomizers, cartomizers, etc. I would need. :confused:

Any advice on what I need to get me up and running would be so much appreciated, both by me and the mammy (I've convinced her to give it a go too...yay me!).

The kits with the 1300 mah batteries are just huge. My bf made me bring mine back as it looked like a magic wand (6.5' in length). The lady was very understanding and swapped it for one of these €43 for the kit+free 20ml e-juice

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

@ finnvalley,

There are a few of us vapers in Donegal. I am just up the road from you in Lifford, you are welcome to try my Dual Coil Cartomisers if you want to test before buying.

Theblueirish

ktala wrote: »
    The kits with the 1300 mah batteries are just huge. My bf made me bring mine back as it looked like a magic wand

That made me laugh! I'm not too bothered by the size, as long as I get good battery life...two charges of the J&J today, and it's only 20:30. I suppose it's a case of the bigger the battery, the longer it can go without a charge.
    you are welcome to try my Dual Coil Cartomisers if you want to test before buying.

Theblueirish

A very kind offer, blueirish - and it's great to hear I'm not the only vaper in Donegal! No need to try them out, I'm more'n willing to go on recommendations. I've topped up the payzone card and have around €130 to spend on a decent kit...way I see it, I wouldn't be long in spending it on regular cigs.

Do you get a good plume of vapour from the DCCs? Some of the youtube vids I've seen don't look too different from regular cigs, but if the one I've got is anything to go by, it's all camera trickery :rolleyes:

By the reaction of the people I've met so far, you'd think I was daft. Although one fella in Ballybofey says he's been off the cigs for 6 months now, and he was a 30+ a day smoker...he can't say enough good things about e-cigs.

I gave in and bought a pack of Consulate earlier to tide me over until I figure what to buy. I know e-cigs'll never be exactly like the real thing, but I'd like to get as close as possible :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

That's a great suggestion about the kit from Irishvapers. Those two 1300mah batteries are themselves nearly worth the €40 and you won't have to worry about them charging them more than once a day.

The DCCs do give a much better whack than anything else I've tried but when you're starting off I'd say the nicotine levels of the juice will make a big difference to you so maybe go with the higher ones like 18 or 24mg.

Also I'd say as a menthol smoker you'll be blown away by using e-cigs with menthol juice. I never smoked menthol when I was smoking cigarettes but since I've switched to e-cigs I use it exclusively because it's leaves you feeling fresh and tastes really good.

I know e-cigs'll never be exactly like the real thing, but I'd like to get as close as possible :)
    You will soon think vaping is actually better than smoking!

By the way, IrishVapers usually include a free DCC when you order a kit.

Not your ornery onager

Right, here's an update for anyone interested.

After telling my brother about e-cigs, he was super excited (another one who's tried everything to give up smoking) and after reading through boards, he ordered an eGo-T starter kit. It arrived yesterday and because I'm the gadget gal of the family, he got me to set it up for him. When it was all ready, me and mum gave it a try...really mixed reactions, I gotta say.

I liked the eGo-T, liked the weight of it and the big vapour but the liquid he ordered was truly vile! First few tentative puffs were ok, little bit of vapour and not much else. Feeling confident, I took a longer, slower drag and...oh my god! It hit the back of my throat with all the force of a charging elephant, and I was coughing like a mad thing! Didn't stop me trying another few puffs though...:D

As far as I can remember, that was the joyetech tobacco high strength liquid and it left the back of my throat feeling really raw. Even though it was rotten, I think it gave me a good feel for what I'm thinking is 'throat hit'. With some menthol or mint liquid, I could just picture myself with one, vaping away happily!

Mum couldn't work it at all - she didn't like the button system, the size of it and even though she could get vapour to come out, she never got any throat hit, just a bad taste in her mouth.

After searching through the different shops last night, I found the Joye 510-T Starter Kit on thebestshop, an automatic e-cig with a 280mah battery which should be more to her liking (she likes the functionality of the J&J one when it works, but finds it too inconsistent). So I've ordered it and a load of liquids of different strengths, the mega tanks and now can't wait for it all to arrive. We're going to share the one kit (coz there's two cigs in the box) to begin with and if all goes well, I'll definitely be getting an upgrade soon!

Thanks for all your help and advice folks, it truly is appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tkavan

Right, here's an update for anyone interested.

After telling my brother about e-cigs, he was super excited (another one who's tried everything to give up smoking) and after reading through boards, he ordered an eGo-T starter kit. It arrived yesterday and because I'm the gadget gal of the family, he got me to set it up for him. When it was all ready, me and mum gave it a try...really mixed reactions, I gotta say.

I liked the eGo-T, liked the weight of it and the big vapour but the liquid he ordered was truly vile! First few tentative puffs were ok, little bit of vapour and not much else. Feeling confident, I took a longer, slower drag and...oh my god! It hit the back of my throat with all the force of a charging elephant, and I was coughing like a mad thing! Didn't stop me trying another few puffs though...:D

As far as I can remember, that was the joyetech tobacco high strength liquid and it left the back of my throat feeling really raw. Even though it was rotten, I think it gave me a good feel for what I'm thinking is 'throat hit'. With some menthol or mint liquid, I could just picture myself with one, vaping away happily!

Mum couldn't work it at all - she didn't like the button system, the size of it and even though she could get vapour to come out, she never got any throat hit, just a bad taste in her mouth.

After searching through the different shops last night, I found the Joye 510-T Starter Kit on thebestshop, an automatic e-cig with a 280mah battery which should be more to her liking (she likes the functionality of the J&J one when it works, but finds it too inconsistent). So I've ordered it and a load of liquids of different strengths, the mega tanks and now can't wait for it all to arrive. We're going to share the one kit (coz there's two cigs in the box) to begin with and if all goes well, I'll definitely be getting an upgrade soon!

Thanks for all your help and advice folks, it truly is appreciated!

510-T is a great choice and am sure your mam is going to like it. Let us know how you get on :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

You have to be a little careful with the tanks. The problem being they are far too unreliable. Great when they work but it's just as possible that the vile hit you or your mum got was the tank not wicking properly so you simply get a burnt dry hit. I really think it's not ideal for beginners because of this inconsistency. A mega (non-tank) eGo is a better choice to start with imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭wingnut32

mewso wrote: »
    You have to be a little careful with the tanks. The problem being they are far too unreliable. Great when they work but it's just as possible that the vile hit you or your mum got was the tank not wicking properly so you simply get a burnt dry hit. I really think it's not ideal for beginners because of this inconsistency. A mega (non-tank) eGo is a better choice to start with imo.

It could also be the primer in the tank atty, sometimes not pleasant at all until a good hour or two of vaping.

Another update :)

The 510-T was delivered earlier on today, complete with a selection of (mostly minty) liquids. They're all charged up, me and the mammy have finished with the analogues (teehee, look at me with the tech speak!) and are now on the menthol liquid. I've a bit of a flu at the moment and it's making me cough to take a good drag, but the boss says it's a grand job...and because it's the automatic one with no button, she can work it :D
    mewso wrote: »
    You have to be a little careful with the tanks.
    wingnut32 wrote: »
    It could also be the primer in the tank atty, sometimes not pleasant at all until a good hour or two of vaping.

I know it's only early days yet but so far, so good with the tanks. After reading up on getting started, I gave 'em a big blow through to get rid of the primer, wiped the bottom of the attys dry and although there was a slight taste to begin with, it cleared after a few puffs.

The reason I went for the tank is because it hold more liquid and seems much easier to fill than the cartridges. If I eventually upgrade to the ego (which I probably will), is there a lot of fiddling to fill cartridges vs filling tanks? And is it true you only get 10-15 puffs from a cartridge?

My brother's ego-T is going great guns...no spit-back from the tank, no bad burning taste. He had his last cig on Saturday and has been vaping since, which is quite amazing, coz he's the sorta smoker that gets really upset if he doesn't have at least 10 cigs in his pocket at all times! He's even talking about getting the wife one for her birthday now...

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

And is it true you only get 10-15 puffs from a cartridge

Eh no, maby yes. Depends on how its filled, first few times the cartridge filler is great then it starts to hold the liquid an you're toppin up every few puffs. Ditch the white wool an use some foam for fish tank filters (I couldn't get the recommended blue one so I tried the black, shoved in tight it worked brill, can drain the cart now.)
    Anyway you'll probably go for the Ego-t which is a tank so no cart to worry about, Tanks hold much more juice. Be aware Egos are thirstyer than the 510's so you'll use more juice anyway.
    Enjoy and good luck with the switch not the quit. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Gino77777

Hi folks,

I remember how sceptical i was regarding this "electronic Cigarette" concept Until i tried it. i am still under impression as tried so many thinks earlier to quit smoking nothing helped but electronic cigarette
    I bought Mine at Pacinos Restaurant,on Suffolk street, Dublin 2. They offer free testing to the customers, You should defo try them before buying.
    I paid 17eu for healthy e-cigarette also known as super mini, starter kit and bought i pack extra cartridge at extra 5eu.(Starter kit comes with comes with 1 e-cgarette, 10 cartridges, 3 way chargers: car, USB and Wall). almost 3 weeks now since i bought it and still havent finished my second pack of cartridges. i smoke 1 cartridge per day (i used to smoke 20 cigarettes a day) and its really feels enough. I wont be buying more cartridges as i feel i have defeated smoking habit already, so planning to give my e-cigarette to my mate.
    by the way they also have ego and ego tank models for 39eu including a bottle of e-liquid but i am glad i didnt buy ego model as the cheaper one had done a great job too
    If you realy want to quit smoking the "super mini" that i bought is the ideal one so highly recomended:-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Gino77777 wrote: »
    . I wont be buying more cartridges as i feel i have defeated smoking habit already, so planning to give my e-cigarette to my mate.

excuse me while I try to stifle a snigger

you've replaced one nicotine delivery system with another, you haven't quit anything. as soon as you stop using the e-cig, your cravings for nicotine will resume as if you'd just quit the cigs and you'll be back where you were as if you hadn't even tried the e-cig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

I remember how sceptical i was regarding this "electronic Cigarette" concept Until i tried it. i am still under impression as tried so many thinks earlier to quit smoking nothing helped but electronic cigarette
    I bought Mine at Pacinos Restaurant,on Suffolk street, Dublin 2. They offer free testing to the customers, You should defo try them before buying.
    I paid 17eu for healthy e-cigarette also known as super mini, starter kit and bought i pack extra cartridge at extra 5eu.(Starter kit comes with comes with 1 e-cgarette, 10 cartridges, 3 way chargers: car, USB and Wall). almost 3 weeks now since i bought it and still havent finished my second pack of cartridges. i smoke 1 cartridge per day (i used to smoke 20 cigarettes a day) and its really feels enough. I wont be buying more cartridges as i feel i have defeated smoking habit already, so planning to give my e-cigarette to my mate.
    by the way they also have ego and ego tank models for 39eu including a bottle of e-liquid but i am glad i didnt buy ego model as the cheaper one had done a great job too
    If you realy want to quit smoking the "super mini" that i bought is the ideal one so highly recomended:-)

I hope you're right, but I seriously doubt it.
    As Sir Digby has pointed out, you've substituted one nicotine delivery system for another.

What strength juice are you vaping?
    Most of the kits that come with cartridges use either 11mg or 16mg cartridges, neither of which are milder than, say, B&H or Silk Cut.

I'd suggest that you hold onto that kit for a while after you finish your last cartridge, and that you make sure you can source more cartridges easily, if you need to.
    You might also want to see if you can find a lower strength cartridge than whatever you're using now, so that you can reduce your nicotine intake gradually, if you find you can't manage "cold turkey" when you finish your cartridges.

Just a friendly suggestion - Good Luck with giving up.

I bought Mine at <snip>. They offer free testing to the customers, You should defo try them before buying.
    Do they have any good lunchtime meal specials where you work? :pac:

Not your ornery onager

Noreen1 wrote: »
    I hope you're right, but I seriously doubt it.
    As Sir Digby has pointed out, you've substituted one nicotine delivery system for another.

What strength juice are you vaping?
    Most of the kits that come with cartridges use either 11mg or 16mg cartridges, neither of which are milder than, say, B&H or Silk Cut.

I'd suggest that you hold onto that kit for a while after you finish your last cartridge, and that you make sure you can source more cartridges easily, if you need to.
    You might also want to see if you can find a lower strength cartridge than whatever you're using now, so that you can reduce your nicotine intake gradually, if you find you can't manage "cold turkey" when you finish your cartridges.

Just a friendly suggestion - Good Luck with giving up.

Thanks for the suggestion,thats exactly what i did, i am on low cartridge today and still feels same, i even smoke less then used to. 1 cart last for a full day, my next one will be a no nicotine cartridge and will let you know the outcome, i am 100%sure this realy works for me and even in the worst case scenario if i wont be able to quit nicotine supply into myself i still believe that its still healthier much healthier then a real cigarette not to mention the savings i make (used to spend 8.50 per day for a pack of marlboro light) now it costing me 50cents per day only so i dont realy mind spending 3000 less per year, would I?

excuse me while I try to stifle a snigger

you've replaced one nicotine delivery system with another, you haven't quit anything. as soon as you stop using the e-cig, your cravings for nicotine will resume as if you'd just quit the cigs and you'll be back where you were as if you hadn't even tried the e-cig.

Let me disagree Sir
    I used to smoke e-cig as frequently as i would the real cig (before switching to e-smoking) but now i have really reduced my nicotine supply, once i even forgot to take it on me on saturday night out and guess..... nothing happened. thats why i say i am gonna give it to my mate as soon as i will buy one and the last pack of nicotine with a zero strength. i realy enjoy testing myself and experiencing this great invention

Advertisement