Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Altitude Sickness?

Options
  • 06-09-2011 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

I’m not sure if this is the correct forum for this question so if not apologies and if you could re-direct me that would be great.

I’ll be heading off to Aus' for a few weeks in March and plan on stopping off in Borneo on the way back with the plan being to climb/trek Mt Kinabalu.

Time will be fairly tight so I plan to go up and down in the same day. Fitness wise it shouldn’t be an issue but I’m not sure about the altitude. The climb (we’ll call it a climb for now) starts at about 1800m and peaks at 4,100m. It’s about 8.7km distance.

I’ve never spent any time at altitude so I’m not sure what effect it may have. Most people stop off half way up (c3,200m) for the night and do the climb early the next morning to catch the sunset. I’ve had my fill of sunsets at this stage!

I suppose my question is how long does it take to acclimatise? Would doing the climb slowly do the job? Would a 1 or 2 hour rest at the half-way mark make any difference or is that just not long enough. Or is 4,100m nothing to worry about in the first place?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭jonnysimples

A bit of a tricky question because altitude effects evryone differently. But, generally speaking, if you take your time going up and are coming back down the same day you should be okay.

The most critical thing is monitor yourself and if you get any of the normal warning signs such as nausea or lightheadness that you stop, take a break and if they don't ease considerably head back down as quickly as possible.

Also, keep yourself well hydrated and allow much more time then you normally would to do such a route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

As the previous poster said, it's a difficult question to answer because altitude effects everybody differently with much disregard for fitness/age/etc.

I know from my own personal experience at altitude, that if I were to climb from 1800m to 4100m in one day, I would be probably be ok. However I might feel a bit crappy and maybe begin to get a bit of a headache. I would hazard a complete guess that the average person has about a 50% chance of developing altitude sickness after such a hike.

Also, 2300m in one day, is a sh!t load of altitude, it's more than climbing Carrauntoohil twice on one day. Also, understand that it will feel a lot more difficult to climb from 1800m to 4100m than it will to climb from 0 to 2300m.

I havn't climbed Kinabalu, so the following doesn't come from direct experience, but from a lot of research I did lately. I decided not to bother climb it in the end due to the expensive hoops they make you jump through to get to the top.

I understand the reasons for wanting to climb Kinabalu in one day. They make it very difficult to book accommodation on the mountain without paying a small fortune. Despite the ludicrous expense, accommodation will also fill up very quickly in high season. To make life difficult and to ensure Sutera Sanctuary Lodges make their profit, they also prohibit camping on the mountain.

They say, however, that it's worth the pain and price when you see the sun rise over Borneo. I have already seen the sunrise from the roof of Africa, so for me anyway, it was something I could let go of.

If you plan on climbing the mountain in one day, you still need to hire a guide to go with you, and my understanding is that if you are too slow to get up and down before it gets dark (as I said 2300m is a sh!t load of altitude in one day), they will turn you around before you reach the summit. Also understand, that if you climb in one day then you will probably arrive by middle or late afternoon and then there's a very high chance that the summit of Kinabalu will be clouded over, and when you get to the top you will see nothing.

If you don't climb Kinabalu, it's still worth renting a car and driving out to see it and the surroundings. Car rental in Sabah is quite cheap, the drive takes about 2hrs and the roads out to it are quite good and easy to drive on. Also, they drive on the left so you'll feel like you're at home. I visited the botanical garden in the park HQ to see some of Kinabalu's famous pitcher plants, and then I went to Poring Hot Springs where I was lucky enough to see a few Rafflesias in bloom.

BTW, visiting the town of Poring Hot Springs seems to be the place to go in Sabah that gives you the best chance of seeing Rafflesias in bloom. If you don't see signs for blooming rafflesias on the side of the road on your way into the town, then ask at the Hot Springs office.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

It would be a good idea to visit your doctor before you leave for Oz, say you plan on climbing Kinabalu and are worried about acclimatisation and altitude sickness. He will probably prescribe you Diamox (Acetazolamide). It's a drug, which among numerous other things speeds up the process of acclimatisation.

But as I said, there's a very high chance you will simply be immersed in dense cloud and fog when you reach the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

I am certainly not an expert but I found that even after 3 days at altitude I was reasonable out of breath when climbing (I have an above average level of fitness). I knwo everyone is different but allow yourself time to acclimatise OP or you could develop altitude sickness.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭valerie

I climbed Kinabalu a few years ago, the usual way and had fairly significant altitude sickness on it, had to turn back a short distance from the top. I've been significantly higher than that since(5400m) with no significant problems. the issue is the speed of the ascent. The problem with it is that while the climb itself starts at 1800m, you usually drive from Kota Kinabalu that morning so you're effectively going from sea level to 4100m in less than 24hrs.
    Evidence based guidelines suggest that above an altitude of 3000m, you shouldn't increase your sleeping elevation by more than 500m/day.
    They have also stratified risk categories for acute mountain sickness into low, medium and high. "all individuals ascending to >3500m in 1 day" falls into high risk category.
    Now to be honest, lots of expeditions fall into high risk category so it's up to you but just be aware that acute mountain sickness can be fatal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

I would recommend stopping halfway overnight, I did the Sugar Loaf in 1 day last year, and I found my body couldn't acclimitise quick enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Bold Abdu

Some great advice there folks. Thanks for that.

I hadn't really factored in the rise in altitude from KK to the start fo the climb so I think I might have to move some things around and do it over 2 days. No point in trying to be a hero and failing miserably.

Certainly the idea of climbing Carrauntoohil twice in one day doesn't sound like too much fun!

I had planned on heading over to Poring Springs after the climb but it looked like it was difficult to get back from. I'd never thought of hiring a car. Something to look in to I suppose.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

FWIW was there recently and met an Irish girl who had done it in one day, up and down, though as Sev noted that might limit your prospects of seeing sunrise.

Also had mates who climbed in on their honeymoon and were absolutely fecked afterwards, took them the whole holiday to recover and they didn't really feel it was worth it.

Also, I think to be properly acclimatised to that altitude takes several days, more towards a week, so tbh, I don't think there's going to be a huge difference between one day and two days.

There is a lot of stuff to be done in Borneo and I'm not sure how high Kinabalu should be in your list, that said, it must be pretty amazing and you will prob be exposed to a lot of Borneo's greatest resource, i.e, nature, on the way in, out and up and down.

Enjoy in any event, if you dive don't miss Sipidan and the surrounds, although you have to book your permit long in advance!

Advertisement