Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to approach going for a PHD?

Options
  • 06-09-2011 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Maybe getting a bit ahead of myself but I am starting a taught masters this month. On completing my original degree the dates were so early for applying that I didn't even know what to do by the time others were sending in applications for their postgrads. I want to be prepared this year. I'm just wondering how you go about getting on a PHD programme? Do you apply mid-way through the year, wait until you get your results, do your lecturers make suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Tupamaros wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Maybe getting a bit ahead of myself but I am starting a taught masters this month. On completing my original degree the dates were so early for applying that I didn't even know what to do by the time others were sending in applications for their postgrads. I want to be prepared this year. I'm just wondering how you go about getting on a PHD programme? Do you apply mid-way through the year, wait until you get your results, do your lecturers make suggestions?
    It depends on where you want to go, some programmes especially in the UK seem to have much earlier deadlines than Ireland. Often they are before Christmas. I was like you in that I had no idea during my final year of where to go next, while all my friends were applying for PhDs. Ask yourself if you want to stay in your current field or branch out, and whether you want to stay put or move to a different university, here or abroad. Findaphd.com is a great resource, as are individual college vacancy websites. In my experience lecturers are very open about discussing potential projects informally too. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Tupamaros

stinkle wrote: »
    It depends on where you want to go, some programmes especially in the UK seem to have much earlier deadlines than Ireland. Often they are before Christmas. I was like you in that I had no idea during my final year of where to go next, while all my friends were applying for PhDs. Ask yourself if you want to stay in your current field or branch out, and whether you want to stay put or move to a different university, here or abroad. Findaphd.com is a great resource, as are individual college vacancy websites. In my experience lecturers are very open about discussing potential projects informally too. Good luck!

Thanks for your reply. I wish to stay in the field I am in but regarding which university(in Ireland or otherwise) I'm pretty easy. I'll take a look at findaphd.com as you suggest. I've never had the process explained to me really. I've heard of people getting offered one within their college because they are getting good grades etc But I've never been informed properly, how to apply, do you get funding or not, how would you even go about searching for them in other countries..all that kind of stuff. I'll have a scan of that site you suggested and see:)

That's great if you know you want to stay in the same field! Certainly talk to lecturers whose work you are interested in at your college, they genuinely like that. If you get to do a project or assignment under their supervision it makes it easier to approach.

That's great if you know you want to stay in the same field! Certainly talk to lecturers whose work you are interested in at your college, they genuinely like that. If you get to do a project or assignment under their supervision it makes it easier to approach.

Can all lecturers supervise a PhD? I like the idea of doing one under someone who's work I have an interest in but I don't know basic questions like that :pac: :o Yup I want to stay in the same field, well I would prefer the PhD to be a more specific sub-section of what I'll be doing from now.

Can all lecturers supervise a PhD? I like the idea of doing one under someone who's work I have an interest in but I don't know basic questions like that :pac: :o Yup I want to stay in the same field, well I would prefer the PhD to be a more specific sub-section of what I'll be doing from now.
    What area are you in? Mine us science based, so obv most lecturers have their own labs or are senior researchers in a lab so have space and facilities to supervise. From what I know of arts and humanities, the funding is harder to get, but the work is more independent so I'm sure any senior academic would be in a position to supervise

• Advertisement

What area are you in? Mine us science based, so obv most lecturers have their own labs or are senior researchers in a lab so have space and facilities to supervise. From what I know of arts and humanities, the funding is harder to get, but the work is more independent so I'm sure any senior academic would be in a position to supervise

I'm in politics.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I'll take a look at findaphd.com as you suggest. I've never had the process explained to me really. I've heard of people getting offered one within their college because they are getting good grades etc But I've never been informed properly, how to apply, do you get funding or not, how would you even go about searching for them in other countries..all that kind of stuff.
    Do a search for PhD's on jobs.ac.uk:

http://www.jobs.ac.uk/jobs/phd

This will give you an idea of how funded positions are advertised, what the salaries are like, how to go about applying for positions, etc.

Advertisement