Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice

Options
  • 06-09-2011 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭

Could I switch to a different course in the college and still receive some sort of grant? TBH I don't like my course ( Computing ) and I failed a few exams mainly down to my lack of maths skills I don't want to leave college but would like to switch course to something different maybe PR or Business but i'd only switch if I could get some sort of grant because I couldn't afford it otherwise confused.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Not for the year(s) you've already received the grant, for instance if you've already received the grant for 1st year Computing you wont be able to get the grant for 1st year in another course, you will have to pay full fees, however you should be able to get the grant for 2nd year on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

draffodx wrote: »
    Not for the year(s) you've already received the grant, for instance if you've already received the grant for 1st year Computing you wont be able to get the grant for 1st year in another course, you will have to pay full fees, however you should be able to get the grant for 2nd year on.

Is there no alternatives for the grant? I just couldn't afford the fees and I don't want to leave college:(

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

did you fail the repeats? there is one maths class in second year semester1 and then you dont have to do maths again in computing, well that was the case for lvl 7 computing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

Rossin wrote: »
    did you fail the repeats? there is one maths class in second year semester1 and then you dont have to do maths again in computing, well that was the case for lvl 7 computing

Results not out yet. I missed one of the repeats because no email was sent out

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

did you ask them can you sit it? would you survive a year without the grant if you changed course?
    if you pass the 3 exams you're fine i guess, albeit a course you dont like, just work hard next year or at least always attend, makes a big difference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 DkIT_Computing

James, it sounds like you need to come in for a chat so we can go over your options and sort out what happened with that subject. My office is in Carroll's (P1207) and I'm around most of the time if you want to stop by. As next week is induction week, it might be best to email beforehand if you're coming in then, but otherwise please stop by and hopefully I'll be able to answer any questions you might have.

Just to address the initial ones here:
    You can't switch courses within the college without going through the CAO or approaching the head of department (there needs to be places available after the CAO rounds in order for you to get in) and you'll usually need to meet the minimum CAO points & requirements for the year in order to be accepted.

If you do find a course that you like and that will take you, you'll then have to sort out the funding issue. As previously said, you won't get the grant for the year you've already done and you'll have to pay full fees (I think this year they're ~€2950 a year). I'm not aware of any way around this, but if you speak to student services, they may know of some additional funding that you could apply for.

If you really don't enjoy computing, then you shouldn't stay in the course, because you're not just trying to keep your head above water for three years, you're signing up for a complete career. As I said, if you want to stop by my office, we can go over your situation and see if there's anything I can do to help.

Advertisement