Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Grant - Changing Course

Options
  • 06-09-2011 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭

Hoping somebody can help me out here. I'm a little confused with the changes that have happened with the student grant.

So last year I started a level 8 course and have been receiving BTEA. The Student grant had covered all tuition and entrance fee's. However I don't like the course and due to poor results won't be returning this year anyway.

My question is can you apply for the student grant to cover fee's again if I was to start another level 8 course. A different subject. I've read through the notes and I think because I haven't completed a level 8 course before and this won't be a repeat year but a whole new course you are still eligible to apply.

Does anybody know much about this? Can they confirm or not. I don't wanna waste my time applying when I won't be able to afford it.

Hopefully someone can help, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭achmairt

You won't get grant or fees for the first year of your new course. You can apply for year two next year. If you're on BTEA you will only get your fees paid (no grant).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

achmairt wrote: »
    You won't get grant or fees for the first year of your new course. You can apply for year two next year. If you're on BTEA you will only get your fees paid (no grant).

I know about the whole BTEA and Student Grant deal. It's just about the fees and when you can get them. I read through the notes on the grant and by the way it looks you can get the fees to cover the whole course. I think the rules have changed for 2011/12. They combined the grants together into one. And changed some of the rates. So maybe it has changed about applying and getting the fee's paid for the whole course.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,982 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

DubDJ wrote: »
    I know about the whole BTEA and Student Grant deal. It's just about the fees and when you can get them. I read through the notes on the grant and by the way it looks you can get the fees to cover the whole course. I think the rules have changed for 2011/12. They combined the grants together into one. And changed some of the rates. So maybe it has changed about applying and getting the fee's paid for the whole course.

Yeah the rules seem to have changed this year and are a bit confusing - I think the best thing to do is go to your local VEC adult guidance service and ask them to clarify it for you

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Yeah the rules seem to have changed this year and are a bit confusing - I think the best thing to do is go to your local VEC adult guidance service and ask them to clarify it for you

Thanks,

Was hoping someone would of known for sure to save me the trip :D

I'll probably take a trip over and find out for sure!

Advertisement