Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honda shadow engine problems

Options
  • 06-09-2011 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

my honda shadow vt600 is running poor there are custom exausts on it. I am losing power at time when i drive her on. so think wrong mix of air petrol so think the jets are the issue? how do i find out for sure any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

On one occasion, my brother had a 1990 Shadow 1100 with all the same symptoms and actually turned out to be corroded plug leads. Try those first.

My brother currently has a 98 Shadow 1100 with 30000km and he had some freaky running problems too. It would run ok, then die, then be perfect, then run ok but weak, then stall and refuse to restart, then run badly and on and on.

He had the carbs out and tweeked a dozen times and nothing worked. He had a couple of leaks in his exhaust was told they might be the problem but they weren't. He also had it restricted and was told that that was the problem but removing the kit didn't help.

Eventually, our mechanic traced the problem down to a breather pipe between the crank case and the carbs. The non-return valve got partially blocked with mayonnaise as a result of sitting idle for a prolonged period of time, at some stage. The vacuum that was created effectively 'sucked' raw fuel into the carbs, causing the engine to flood and die.

The bike now has a restrictor kit fitted. On the other side it has wide open pipes fitted. It still runs perfectly.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 buttonsjunior

thanks for that will give it a try some differences do
    it doesn't die just no power at times when i go to accelerate in high gear but is not a flat spot and few second later it kicks in but ya having problems starting was putting that down to weak battery as will only give 1 attempt to start if driven any distances

Advertisement