Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

back to education allowance, am I elligble?

• 06-09-2011 12:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Untenable position to some perhaps, but just looking for advice...

I left job volunatarily, waited out period of 9 weeks before receiving JSA and now wish to return to eduaction, hopefully in receipt of the BEA (I'm 28, have an undergrauate degree but wish to do another in different field).

I see some sources quote 9 months in receipt of JSA or similar to be valid for BEA. My question is can my 9 week penalty be incorporated into this 9 month period of time?

I've also noted some sources saying you must be 12 months (312 days) in receipt of JSA to qualify for the BEA? Can anybody provide clarity on this?

Thanks for any help...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

You won't be approved on BTEA for a level of qualification you already have. So if you already have a Level 8 undergraduate degree, you would need to be doing a Level 9 Higher Diploma to be approved.
    Your disqualification does not count towards the qualification period - you need to be in payment for 234 days (9 months) before being approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

cee_jay wrote: »
    You won't be approved on BTEA for a level of qualification you already have. So if you already have a Level 8 undergraduate degree, you would need to be doing a Level 9 Higher Diploma to be approved.
    Your disqualification does not count towards the qualification period - you need to be in payment for 234 days (9 months) before being approved.
    well strictly true. but in these uncertain times... OP, i'd go for it, then appeal. what harm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ITSMechatronic

Hey meridiangroup heres bit info mite help u.

Think I have bit more than you need but others may benefit from it too!

By sounds it ur short 9 or so weeks and are trying make up the 12 months by trying get it included.

But u should be ok with 9 months (234 days) bcause the 12 months was reduced to 9 months in July 2010.
    exclude sundays not counted as working days.
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/OperationalGuidelines/Pages/bte_all.aspx#1.14.9
    CHECK LAST PIECE IN APPENDIX 2

The guy in my yr has already done this and got approved,all social welfare offices and citizen info told him he wasnt entitilied to it,

but he only found this out by chance by a woman who works in main social welfare office which is directly incharge of the approval of the BTEA.

He didnt have the info I needed on paper to back this up so I started looking and I found this hidden fairly well.

I am going into 4th Yr so for past 3 yrs been on JSB/JSA so I am going to use the 3 summer periods on these payments to qualify for BTEA.

Linking Period means if on Jobseeker benefit/allowance for different periods providing there is a gap of no more than 52 weeks then all these periods time can be summed together for the required 9 months (234 days) to qualify for the BTEA.

Heres the link where info is under 1.11 Linking Periods (same link as above)
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/OperationalGuidelines/Pages/bte_all.aspx#1.14.9

Regards

John
    Untenable position to some perhaps, but just looking for advice...

I left job volunatarily, waited out period of 9 weeks before receiving JSA and now wish to return to eduaction, hopefully in receipt of the BEA (I'm 28, have an undergrauate degree but wish to do another in different field).

I see some sources quote 9 months in receipt of JSA or similar to be valid for BEA. My question is can my 9 week penalty be incorporated into this 9 month period of time?

I've also noted some sources saying you must be 12 months (312 days) in receipt of JSA to qualify for the BEA? Can anybody provide clarity on this?

Thanks for any help...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Great stuff lads, thanks for the info....

Just an update concerning my course....it is a h-dip I'm going after. Presumably the 9 months still stands?

And also, more importantly, can anyone confirm if my 9 weeks awaiting social welfare can be incorporated into the 9 month time period? This isn't easy to find out from what I've read online...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Just re-read ceejay's post, thanks for the information...

• Advertisement
Advertisement