Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby World Cup 2011 - Places to watch early morning games

Options
  • 06-09-2011 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hey all,

Any chance you could post pubs/restaurants that might be showing the early matches. Ireland matches in particular and places in Cork preferably ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,076 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

the welcome inn , opposite the bus station , is an early morning bar and will be open at that stage. will be some interesting characters watching the games :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭lehe8707

2smiggy wrote: »
    the welcome inn , opposite the bus station , is an early morning bar and will be open at that stage. will be some interesting characters watching the games :eek:

I've seen that place alright. Looks a bit grim though! Thanks for the suggestion though!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Your local club might be an option, you could check with them. I know they're not technically a pub, but they tend to show early morning games in Lion's Series, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

lehe8707 wrote: »
    Hey all,

Any chance you could post pubs/restaurants that might be showing the early matches. Ireland matches in particular and places in Cork preferably ;)

Silver key near Cork Con are open for breakfast for the Ireland games but it's a bit outside of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭CdeC

Anywhere in Dublin???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

CdeC wrote: »
    Anywhere in Dublin???

DTwo on Harcourt St will be showing all the games live according to their Facebook page. Deals on breakfasts as well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Turns out I am going to be in Westport for most of the weekend. The place im staying doesn't have a TV :mad: Does anyone know of a Hotel/Bar that will be showing the Irish match on the sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

ktulu123 wrote: »
    Turns out I am going to be in Westport for most of the weekend. The place im staying doesn't have a TV :mad: Does anyone know of a Hotel/Bar that will be showing the Irish match on the sunday?

Westport could be tricky, only place I can think of with a TV is henehans, very central. They have a guesthouse and do food, so very likely to be open in the am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Gracelessly Tom

I was in Westport for a stag during the 2005 Lions tour and the hotel bar showed the matches. We got quite boisterous and were asked to keep it down as families were eating their breakfast in the dining room next door!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

ktulu123 wrote: »
    Give McCarthy's a shout. Very rugby friendly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Cheers, I'll give these places a call before the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭some_dose

Anywhere in Waterford lads? Also going to be in Dublin for the Australia match and myself and a group of friends planned on an all night session before the match. Any idea where we could get a few pints while watching Ireland v Oz?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Slatterys on Capel Street, Dublin. I went to huge efforts to find a location to watch Ireland being destroyed by NZ last year in NZ, and watched it here ... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

The Dark Horse Inn is serving booze for the Ireland Australia match - its an early house on the quays.

Actually a pretty good breakfast + Pitcher deal running today on rate my area that would be ideal for the Aus game.

http://dublin.ratemyarea.com/deals

'Get Two All Day Full Irish Breakfasts & a Pitcher of Beer for just €15 at one of Dublin's Early House Pubs'

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭elgriff

Thats a great deal, I bought 2 earlier. Only works out a €7 a man for a breakfast and a couple of pints. Decent pub too, Ive drank there a couple of times - nice place. Id say they'll put on a good spread for the matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

d2 open as well, but Dark Horse is one of few venues that will be serving booze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Condon

lehe8707 wrote: »
    Hey all,

Charlies in cork opens at 7am monday to saturday!! have never been there myself, but it looks lik my best bet to watch matches. can only imagen a smell of piss and old man in these early morning pubs!...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

The Living Room Cathal Brugha St, not too sure about food/drink but their web page says it's open and has a list of upcoming matches

http://www.thelivingroomdublin.com/frazers.htm

I saw on TV The Boars Head on Caple Street are doing something special for this. So thats were me and my mates are heading to . Great boozer too.

http://www.dublinpubscene.com/thepubs/theboarshead.html

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭MrDerp

http://www.woolshedbaa.com/Rugby_Union.html

The Woolshed on Parnell St would be a good spot for anyone wanting to watch a few games in Dublin. It's an ex-pat sports bar for Southern Hemisphere types so it might have a fun crowd in.

They're opening early for big games (Ireland, SA, NZ, Aus) and showing the daytime repeats of all the other games.

They do nice grub so presumably they'll have some sort of breakfast on too. Give em a ring I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

MrDerp wrote: »
    http://www.woolshedbaa.com/Rugby_Union.html

The Woolshed on Parnell St would be a good spot for anyone wanting to watch a few games in Dublin. It's an ex-pat sports bar for Southern Hemisphere types so it might have a fun crowd in.

They're opening early for big games (Ireland, SA, NZ, Aus) and showing the daytime repeats of all the other games.

They do nice grub so presumably they'll have some sort of breakfast on too. Give em a ring I'd say.

Watched the HC Final there! Great craic, great drink an great food!! Has a projector with (approx) 10ft x 10ft wall/screen and seats (about 12-16) that are like stadium seats infront of projector :) Brilliant!!

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭part time punk

Am I just old and sad in wanting to watch these games at home on my couch with a pot of coffee?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

Am I just old and sad in wanting to watch these games at home on my couch with a crate of beer?

FYP

Ans = No

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Condon wrote: »
    Charlies in cork opens at 7am monday to saturday!! have never been there myself, but it looks lik my best bet to watch matches. can only imagen a smell of piss and old man in these early morning pubs!...

I've been in the early house a little earlier than 7 in my past. They have to know your face tho - and be able to recognise you with eyeballs rolled up in your head and your bottom teeth touching your nose ;)

Weekends are typically pillheads, a few dodgies and the odd stag. Weekdays you're liable to meet your Solicitor/Broker/Bank manager taking the edge off before work.

The welcome inn has more of the old man vibe, but I never was around long enough to smell it - they never served me. Must have been the eyeballs and bottom teeth :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

Am I just old and sad in wanting to watch these games at home on my couch with a pot of coffee?

Certainly not.

Has to be better than this:
    A couple of years ago my mates boyfriend, who I thought was a bit of a dope, asked me if I anted to watch the the Fra v Irl 6N match in his place.
    I thought "I'll make an effort to see what he's like and say ok". I was on crutches so he picked me up, from my place where no one else was in.
    When we got to his it was about to kick off and I sat down and started to watch the game while he proceeded to talk, non-stop.
    I tried to get him to watch the match and shot "go on" etc but to no avail. I even stopped replying to him but he still didn't shut up. I couldn't even leave as I was only on the crutches and wasn't used to them yet!

Long story short, if I'm not photographing the game, then I just watch them at home where no one will disturb me.

Lets hope they will be worth watching!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 GuanYu

Watching the games that involve Ireland is not really a problem.
    However, watching the other games is complicated. Examples of that are today's England v Georgia and France v Canada.
    I can't find any website on which I can watch them live and I do not have the channels broadcasting them. (UTV and Setanta)
    I was thinking I could go to a pub in Cork to watch them but judging from the above posts, I doubt any would show these games.
    Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Bromium

Does anyone know if any pubs are showing the Ireland Vs Italy game and serving beer??

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭nameandanumber

Doubtful, pub opening time is 12.30 on a Sunday no?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Bromium

Well I was just wondering if an early license over rules the 12.30 serving hours if anyone hears of anywhere open would appreciate the info.

• Advertisement
Advertisement