Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kingstown (Dun Laoghaire) Peace Oratory

Options
  • 06-09-2011 10:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭

As part of Heritage Week Dun Laoghaire opened up the 'Oratory of the Sacred Heart'. I have taken some photos and put them on this site here :

The Oratory of the Sacred Heart, Dun Laoghaire, Dublin, Ireland

At the end of World War One a town in Northern France donated a statue of the Sacred Heart to the parish of Kingstown (now Dun Laoghaire) to commemorate the many local Irishmen who had fought and died in Flanders during World War One. Irishmen who fought in the British Army during World War One did so for a wide variety of reasons, reasons which included the promise of Home Rule as a limited form of Irish Independence. While World War One raged on the continent the Irish Rising of 1916 took place in Ireland and led to the Irish War of Independence against Britain. Returning Irishmen in British Army uniform were now treated with suspicion while a new war was fought on Irish soil, waged by the Irish Republican Army against the forces of the British crown: Black and Tans, Auxilliaries, British Army and Royal Irish Constabulary. Of these returning Irishmen some joined the IRA, some fought again for the British forces, while most simply hid their medals and got on with their lives. In the new political climate the subject of commemoration of their sacrifice became contentious. The statue was offered by France and refused by the Christian Brothers and also the local parish church. Finally accepted by a sister in the Dominican Convent the statue was placed in an Oratory. Sister M.Concepta Lynch hand painted the wall behind the statue and the results were so impressive that she was asked to complete the rest of the Oratory, which she proceeded to do from 1920 until 1936 (in the style of the Gaelic revival, using the symbols of Early Irish Christian Art). The stained glass windows were provided by the famous Hary Clarke Studio of Dublin. This building is now preserved within an outer shell and is open to the public for a very limited period of time each year.

http://www.militaria-archive.com/museums/oratory/index.html

WWI_Oratory0041.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

WWI_Oratory0028.jpg

WWI_Oratory0011.jpg

WWI_Oratory0020.jpg

WWI_Oratory0038.jpg

WWI_Oratory0029.jpg

WWI_Oratory0047.jpg

I believe it will be opened again in October for a brief time, I'd recommend checking it out if you have an interest in WWI memorials, also for it's own sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭GearMaven

Loved, loved the Oratory off Library Road from George's Street. It is really beautiful! This 2012 summer it is open, I think, through September on Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays from 1-5pm for hourly free tours. No reservations needed.

What a stunning piece of artwork and history...and, it seems, relatively undiscovered. I've asked all I know if they've seen it, and none even knew it existed. What a treasure!

Advertisement