Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website for Reviews

Options
  • 06-09-2011 8:12am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33

www.getcracking.ie
    My wife built and desinged this,
    Its her first ever website.
    Still a few things that need to be taken care of,address etc..
    We are also working on the SEO ourselves also!:)
    Thanks for any tips or reviews,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭cusackd

Good job for first attempt. What id personally change is the font on the menu bar on the side and i would not be a fan of the white on black go for the same style all over as the call us part on the top right and you'll be on to a winner, its simple but very high quality font and colours, my art teacher always said never use black so if ya can go for a less dramatic smoother shade of grey.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

The Movers wrote: »
    www.getcracking.ie
    My wife built and desinged this,
    Its her first ever website.
    Still a few things that need to be taken care of,address etc..
    We are also working on the SEO ourselves also!:)
    Thanks for any tips or reviews,

Nice website, the top right where the phone number is a bit pixelised and drags colour.
    The rest is good, and being your first website well done. I suggest that you look into Google AdWords and have a link exchange page.

Can't say much more really :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Carol555

It's a really good first website, well done. The layout is clean, simple and easy to find what you're looking for. I like the moving tips section, it's always nice to give your customers something extra for free ;).

Very minor improvements I'd suggest:
    - Section under Services menu - it is easy to miss that 'On - Location Visit, Get a Quote and Have Us Call You' are actually three separate links. It makes sense to have them in the same container as they are all ways of getting in touch with customers but maybe you can add some small icons beside each of them or bullets?

- Top menu (Home, Why Us?, Contact Us) while the black/grey background pattern is very nice and fits the theme, it makes the links less visible.
    What about something like this:
    movers10.jpg

It would be nice to decide on some colour scheme, Adobe Kuler might be worth playing with: http://kuler.adobe.com, but as I said, it's just nice to have.

I didn't see google analytics or verification code in your HTML, you can live without it but going forward it would be good to have some tool to track how many visitors you have and what do they browse - it will tell you a lot about possible improvements.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 The Movers

Thanks everybody for the time you took to review the website. Special thanks to Carol for even visualizing your ideas. W e really like the idea of havin the box "Get in Touch". We'll try to have the google analytic and the verification code soon. Thanks again everybody

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

I would left align the nav menu for readability.

Get yourself a favicon.

Images like moving-insurance.jpg and moving-mouse-world.jpg and others are rights managed by iStockPhoto and/or GettyImages. Be sure you have the licences to use them or you risk them sending you a bill.

In your homepage main text you have 'Home' and 'Welcome to Get Cracking' as h1 and h2. There's little point in that as those words have poor SEO value. Instead put something more keyword/phrase related into your h1/2's. I would also replace all the text with something much more snappy addressing your main markets. People generally scan homepage text as opposed to reading it. Use less 'we' and more 'you' in the text. Give better emphasis to Free stuff and use more/better calls to action.

Have you insurance for the stuff you move?

I'd drop the W3C valiation image as it is only of interest to us html dogs.

Get yourself a contact form too. Not everyone has their email program available on the computer they might being viewing your site on.

Your Boxes link is pointing to a page on your own computer: file:///C|/Users/don/Desktop/GetCr-Website/boxes.html

I'd reword Our Clients to something like Customer Feedback.

You are using tables for layout. Try to change that to divs as it's much easier in the longer run. Might be awkward using DreamWeaver CS5. (It's not something many of us old timers here would use for design)

Our Clients has a broken layout on FireFox5. Probably due to poor table design breaking when to much text is in the content area.

Your 404 page needs to be something like a sitemap: http://www.getcracking.ie/itypedthiswrong

Make your email a mailto link.

You are using the same meta description on all pages that I have checked. Make them match the individual pages' content.

On Location vist form needs some work, re-align the input boxes to the left (like Have Us Call You/Get a Quote) and style the buttons.

Proofread all your spelling and punctuation and get someone else to do that too. Use UK english not US.

As Carol alludes to, use Google Analytics and their Webmaster Tools.

hth/gl

• Advertisement
Advertisement